Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoking on a Ranch?  (Read 2314 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Smoking on a Ranch?
« on: August 07, 2015, 12:02:58 PM »
Has anyone ever tried smoking on a ranch?  Wondering if you could do long slow cooks on it.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Smoking on a Ranch?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 12:07:19 PM »
Wondering if you could do long slow cooks on it.

Absolutely.  I don't own one, but here is a recent thread with some discussion.  I'm sure there are other threads out there.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/snake-method-on-the-ranch-kettle/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 01:28:38 PM »
Yes, it not much different than using a kettle or WSM.

10 Racks

6 butts that were 10+ each.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 02:16:01 PM »
Those two pics are beautiful!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 02:42:20 PM »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 06:16:21 PM »
I just did a brisket on mine, it ran at 250 for 10hrs and i had fuel left( i would post a picture but photobucket is acting up) i set it and let it run,if you want there is pictures in one of the threads listed above.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 03:59:03 PM »
I used to use my Ranch Kettle for smoking all the time. It worked great! No problems whatsoever. However; I recently bought a new 26.75 kettle to do all my smoking because I found that the only downfall to smoking on a Ranch Kettle is that you have to keep adjusting three vents to maintain temperature. The Ranch Kettle does a good job of maintaining steady temps, but you still have to adjust the vents regularly.

I switched to a new 26.75 kettle for all my smoking because it has a one touch vent control and an ash sweep and bucket which the Ranch does not. On the 26.75 kettle, I placed marks on the ash bucket ring directly above the sweep lever to mark the precise location where the vents are completely open, 1/2 closed, and completely closed. It is so much easier and convenient to be able to slide a single lever rather than reaching up underneath a scorching hot cooker and having to touch three hot air vents, (burning my fingers in the process).

The Ranch is great for smoking, but the 26.75 kettle is better. The only advantage the Ranch has over a 26" kettle is its larger size and ability to smoke more meat.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 05:37:01 PM by ramsfan »
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
Here's how I set up my Ranch, the only vent open was under the lit coals, the vent was cracked only a little bit. The top vent was about half open,it ran at 250 for along time, the only thing i would do is open the next vent sooner as the ash started to block the open vent and choked the fire until i got the fire going again. Very stable with no fiddling of vents.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 05:23:08 AM by 1911Ron »
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......