Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New From Illinois' first SS performer  (Read 5076 times)

joness105639

• Smokey Joe
New From Illinois' first SS performer
« on: August 03, 2015, 03:29:19 PM »
Just got this baby yesterday.  The ignitor works as does the gas burner.  I'm a bit curious about how I'm going to get the ash ring back on and wether modern one touch cleaning parts are compatible with this 1993 example.  Any idea about how to deal with the rust near the lid handle would be appreciated also.  It is missing a plastic end cap in one of the cart handles, as well as the charcoal baskets and the thermometer.  I have been toying with the idea of updating it with the latest gourmet grill grates from weber, but I'm open to ideas.  I could also use suggestions for a good grill cover

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 04:30:13 PM by joness105639 »

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Performer project
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 04:39:31 PM »
If the igniter works then I would replace the cooking grate, which is easy (HD & Lowes have them)  replacing the cleaning sweeps is also not hard but the difficult thing is the cross bar which I think is only available from @zavod44 who will probably pop up shortly.  Best of luck to you  8)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:31:24 AM by Red Kettle Rich »
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

KenB

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 07:21:11 PM »
Congrats on the score. I just did my first real restoration on a 1995 performer and switched to a brand new sweeper and ash pan.  The sweeper install is easy.  The ash pan attaches differently than what you have but with a Drexel you can cut small grooves in the legs and the clips on new ash pan will fit.  I found that solution here on WKC.  Have fun with the restoration.

joness105639

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 06:49:52 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. They really do make me feel welcome.  I actually work about 4 minutes from the palatine factory.  They have a parts store right there.  Unfortunately I couldnt find the hours online so if anyone is in the palatine area and needs parts this is the info you need and what it looks like.

So next I went to ace hardware (in palatine on NW highway), picked up the missing thermometer, a new cooking grate, a chimney starter, and the one touch cleaning system parts.  Got home and proceeded to clean the inside of the lid and bowl with the razor blade scraper as suggested on another thread.  Its amazing how well that worked.

I am still missing a few bits here and there, but after today its fully functional, I think I will still want to take the ash ring back off so I can remove the rust on the cross bar and paint it black, and polish the ring and the pan, but I just couldn't wait to fire this baby up and cook some burgers.  This thing is awesome.  Best grill I've ever had the pleasure of cooking on.  Its got the weber gourmet system cooking grate.  Still not entirely sure how to take advantage of the possibilities with that one yet, but I', sure i'll find some uses for it.  Its been a few years since I last did any BBQing so I've got a lot to learn.

To do list
New nuts and bolts hardware etc.
replace missing frame plugs
Sand and repaint frame gloss black
buy grill cover
buy grill brush, tongs and spatula
figure out how to refill propane tank (somewhat unusual size)
repair dent in lid. 
Replace lid basket hardware. 
Replace plastic handle on table (Dear previous owner set a hot tool down on it and melted a mark into it)
Get charcoal baskets (which is better, wire frame or the new stamped steel style?)

Whatever i cant get straight from webber, I'll try to source from ereplacementparts.com  Thanks!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 08:14:37 PM »
@zavod44 can replace that plastic handle with a wood one. I am in talks with him, to get several handles made.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:17:04 PM by TheDude »
Still need a 22” yellow

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 12:57:37 AM »
The frame plugs can be found at Ace too, maybe True Value. About a buck each, I just bought a handful myself. Bring one of yours to match up. The grill cover might be a challenge, but they show up. You might get lucky with Weber, but more likely Amazon. I think it's an 8701. I have used both wire and modern baskets, both work fine. Wire are hard to come by. The key with the tank is the valve. They might not refill it if it's not OPD. You can get a new tank that size, but they are pricey. Some have adapted 20lb tanks. Get some paraffin staters as a back up. Don't paint the crossbar, it will not last. As long as it's solid just use it. If it's toast Brian ( zavod44) can get you a new one.

Keep doin what yer doin! Looking good so far!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 01:02:40 AM by MartyG »

joness105639

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 04:34:05 PM »
Today I visited the Weber factory parts store on my lunch break.  Its got everything you could want.  Lots of accessories that my Ace hardware doesn't carry.  I picked up the weber SS performer grill cover for 50 bucks plus tax and part number 63049 for only 5 bucks.  The Lady there was very nice and helpful, but seemed quite tired and a bit bored.  Business isn't exactly booming in the parts department.  There were a bunch of nice older models around the room on display.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 06:56:56 PM »
You found a 7409 One Touch kit? You can't sue the newer OT parts on the older set up.
Yo could convert to a newer ash bucket and ring with an easy mod.
As for the rust, you can just clean it off and then lube it. There really is no way to remove it and replace the missing porcelain.
Just keep an eye out for a donor black kettle with a nice lid..
If the handle breaks off, it can be reattached with some SS nuts and bolts..
Enjoy!

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

joness105639

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 12:45:25 AM »
No I just used the H pattern one touch kit.  I know everyone says you can't but the instructions that came with it said you could.  I just used teh cross bar instead of the h pattern washer.  It's true that the handle doesn't lock in place but all that means is that there isn't anything keeping the handle from twisting.  That doesn't bother me too much.  It makes it easier to remove the cross bar and ash ring for servicing anyway.  I've kept the special h pattern washer just in case.  I suppose if I ever need to more perminantly install it I could figure something out.

joness105639

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 04:28:12 PM »
After 3 cooks on this thing I have some questions about use, cleaning and maintaining.  I've been just dumping lump charcoal into the bin while the bin is still in the cart, but this causes coal dust to fly everywhere and all over the nice stainless top next to the kettle.  Is there a better way?  Should I just drop the bag straight in instead of dumping it in?  The burner seems hard to light and doesnt burn clean before it gets hot.  Is that a problem with the regulator?  I bought a weber stainless 3 sided brush to keep my new cooking grate clean, but it doesn't seem to get it back to its nice shiny new luster.  What do you recomend? 

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: New From Illinois' first SS performer
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 04:43:25 PM »
Take the bin out of the cart. Remove the clip that holds the gas outlet and run a shish kabob stick up there and knock out the built up ash, mud dobbers, and spiders out.

Shiny luster? What's that?
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 05:54:43 PM »
Dam I want a shopping spree in that parts store :) didn't know there was such a thing .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

joness105639

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 07:00:50 PM »
Idahawk I was just there again today to get a grill brush.  Today it was very busy at about 12:30.  I overheard some folks actually buying entire propane grills (presumably straight from the factory floor).  They have t-sirts, grills grates everything.  They even have a bunch of warming racks for 22.5" charcoal grills on the shelf ready for purchase.  I've read some folks have had trouble getting those in the past.  They have all of the gourmet system accessories to date etc.  Its a dangerous place for my wallet.  Prices aren't too bad, not always the best deal but maybe better than ordering online and waiting for a few days or more for the part you ordered..  For example, I saw the same grill brush for a dollar less at the home depot down the street from my house when I went to get charcoal later the same day (9.99 at home depot vs 10.99 at the Weber factory store). 

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 07:42:06 PM »
Wow I'd love to shop in webers parts dept. enjoy your restoration project. Looks good so far.