Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Drilling for pitmasteriq  (Read 6136 times)

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
Drilling for pitmasteriq
« on: August 02, 2015, 06:57:11 AM »
Just curious, how do you guys feel about drilling a whole in my performer to permanently install a pitmasteriq? I don't own a wsm and I use my kettle to do a lot of smoking.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Re: Drilling for pitmasteriq
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 07:06:07 AM »
I say do it to it. I'm going to buy a DigiQ and plan on doing the same thing to my big Ranch Kettle.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 07:08:26 AM »
If you do decide to drill, use masking tape, prick punch, small bit, stepped bit in that order. 
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 08:47:41 AM »
If you do decide to drill, use masking tape, prick punch, small bit, stepped bit in that order.

Explain that in more detail. I'm going to be installing one of these myself very soon. I want to learn more...
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »

I don't recommend using a punch on porcelain as it can initiate unwanted cracks on impact. It's better to go straight to a sharp drilbit to create the pilot holes.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 12:59:51 PM »
Light tap on a sharp prick punch after covering desired hole location with one or two layers of masking tape.  Sharp 1/16th bit followed by 1/8 then stepped drill to desired diameter.  Works for me with no hairlines but I understand the cautionary note as there is no telling how some people might swing a hammer.
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 06:22:16 PM »
My buddy did this. Looks great. I'll ask how he did it

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 06:34:28 PM »
If I were doing someone else's grill I wouldn't use a punch. On my own, I might risk it. Good luck.

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 08:22:29 PM »
Thanks guys, you've been a big help!

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 12:57:16 AM »

This +1 (minus the punch)

I don't recommend using a punch on porcelain as it can initiate unwanted cracks on impact.It's better to go straight to a sharp drill bit to create the pilot holes.
Slow and steady and keep stepping up.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 12:59:35 AM by fedex »
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 01:46:10 AM »
My $0.02 worth.  Stop and noodle where you need that hole and it's max size.  Height from kettle lip and position on the circumference are important.  I settled on half way between the lip and the cooking grate, easy to slide the grate in under the probe wires and easy to remove the grate during a cook if it's necessary.  I chose half way around the left side since my table is on that side, but a 6ft probe cable can make it all the way around to the opposite side.

Two racks of Baby Back Ribs at the Rifle Range while on RSO duty  ...  SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 03:45:05 AM »
What is the screw on piece called that you have in your last pic smokinjoe? I like that.

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 03:46:49 AM »
And I notice you have two wires coming out, is one for a merit thermometer?

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 08:58:28 AM »
Here's the setup my buddy has. Says it works GREAT

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 09:43:30 AM »
Here's the setup my buddy has. Says it works GREAT

You might want to consider using the "dog bowl" manifold that comes with the IQ as attaching the rubber hose direct to kettle could cause melting and ash buildup. the bowl offers some protection on both counts. YMMV.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP