Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Drilling for pitmasteriq  (Read 6130 times)

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
Re: Drilling for pitmasteriq
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 10:01:03 AM »
Many cooks on this forum and other forums have used this method (I didn't come close to being that clever).  It's a hollow centered lamp fitting.  Normally, the lamp wire runs through it.  They come in many lengths, get the shortest you can get by with IF your probes are the curved ones.  I have a cap that I can screw on mine to close off the air leak.
Those pics are from two different cooks.  One was "at the range" and only needed the thermo on the grill grate, the other was a cook that had one probe in the pork butt and one on the cooking grate.  Hope this helps a little.  Don't be in a hurry to carve up your kettle, read many of the post on our forum, there are many options.  Just draping your wires over the lip works great for some  ...  YMMV.          SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 02:02:17 PM »
@THUNDERDOME what is he using in place of the dog bowl? I haven't seen anything like this before.

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 02:03:27 PM »
Thank you smokinjoe

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 02:03:53 PM »
I think he just used a conduit nut and black pipe nipple. I'll ask him

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 02:11:56 PM »
Hey, you been a big help thunderdome. I ask bc having that big dog bowl just seems like it'd get in the way.

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 08:56:52 PM »
Here is my pitmasteriq.  I cannot remember if I used a center punch or not.  To attach the "dog bowl" I drilled a 1/4" diameter hole to start and drilled from the inside out so I could verify that I was between the blades and under the charcoal grate.  Next I used a step bit to enlarge the hole this time drilling from the outside in.  For the thermometer probes I used a Dremel to cut a notch in the bowl rim. 

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 06:17:30 AM »
Thanks @Uncle Al. Next question, what kind of charcoal arrangement do you guys like to use while using the pitmaster?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 10:06:20 AM »
I'm a BBQ Guru user and have mounted the Universal/Weber adapter on my BPS Drum and Cajun Bandit Master-Touch.

http://www.firecraft.com/product/bbq-guru-weber-small-universal-adaptor/low-dollar-accessoies?s=FCWEB___GSHP&gclid=COXn462AkMcCFchffgodJyIAmg

If mounted properly I wouldn't be concerned about ash buildup or any other issues. To me those dog bowl manifolds look like shit!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:08:59 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

byrdd0g

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 10:56:30 AM »
Here's the setup my buddy has. Says it works GREAT

So this is my rig.  I have some other pics that I might get uploaded some day.  I was pretty nervous about drilling a hole in my beloved kettle, however, I am extremely happy with the results.  I went to Lowes and got a metal box connector and fittings that were almost identical to the one that comes with kit.  I played around with the bowl adapter a little at first, but I am not a fan of it.  I bought a hole saw bit for the drill, its all i needed to make a clean cut, no punch or step bits.  I have had absolutely no issues with the hose getting too hot at all, it gets a little warm, but not hot.  I use this grill as a grill and a smoker, no issues.  I also have a cap that goes over the inlet when its not used.  I do have two important notes, measure your work three times before you cut, don't want to ruin a good grill. (Obviously)  Also, the only drawback to this project that I have encountered is the loss of the cleaning action on the bottom air vents.  I lost about 1/3 of the total movement.  I would recommend this to anyone that is limited to one grill/smoker, like myself.  I could go on and on about it.  Let me know if you have any questions. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:18:12 AM by byrdd0g »

byrdd0g

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 11:07:11 AM »

This is what I used.  I started off really slow RPM until the bit took hold.  Then punched it through.  Piece of cake.  I also used some really thin spacers/washers on each side of the box connector.  When I tightened it down they conformed to the curve in the grill.  Pretty good seal. 

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 12:31:04 PM »
Thank you @swamprb and @ byrdd0g! One quick question @byrdd0g, how big of a hole did you drill, the suggested 7/8?

byrdd0g

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 01:09:23 PM »
Thank you @swamprb and @ byrdd0g! One quick question @byrdd0g, how big of a hole did you drill, the suggested 7/8?

I can't find the bit I used and I don't want to guess.  I took the fitting that I wanted to install into the store and held it up to the right size hole saw bit.  Its the best way to get it 100% right.  Sorry I could't be of better help there.  Remember, I didn't use the piece that comes with the kit.  I found my own in the electrical department. 

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 02:16:16 PM »
That's fine @byrdd0g, you've been a big help

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 03:43:59 PM »
Stepped bit like this is the way to go in my opinion.  Easier to control and cleaner cut finish...
 http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10194A-Titanium-Drill-Increments/dp/B000FZ2UOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438731628&sr=8-1&keywords=step+drill+bit
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 04:31:52 PM »
I like stepbits too. But they can warp the area around the cut hole if too much down pressure is applied. I know this cause my harbor freight step bit dulled