Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoke butt and briskset on 26er?  (Read 3970 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Smoke butt and briskset on 26er?
« on: July 27, 2015, 01:09:21 PM »
Gonna smoke a 10 lb (pre-trimmed) and 9 lb butt tomorrow. Any recommendations to do them both on the 26er or one on the 26er and the other on the 22?

I will aim for temps between 275-325 (hopefully closest to 300), primarily to try out a hot and fast brisket..the butt is just along for the ride.

I will do a snake and place the butt in front of the brisket and rotate as needed.

Any input or advice from the kettle veterans?

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Smoke butt and briskset on 26er?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 01:43:15 PM »
While they both would most likely fit, I personally would do them on different kettles. I tend to do my pork butts at a higher temp (275) and my Briskets lower (225ish). Just my preference as the butts are marbled enough that they can take the higher heat no problem and the briskets (at least the ones I can find) are not so much so I prefer the lower and slower with those. Having the both together would also double the time you had the lid off to check and most likely slow the cooking process down some, but again, that is just what I have run into during my cooks. I am sure others have totally different  experiences, but brisket at hot and fast has never worked well for me.  I would do a 2x2 snake and start with 12 chucks in the chimney.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 03:02:53 PM »
Thanks for the input. It's not too late to do an overnight cook with the brisket. Hopefully others will chime in and I can be influenced one way or another

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 05:07:25 PM »
You could do both at once as there is room to fit at those sizes....

Or, try for some kind of continuous snake record & do the brisket, then add in more of a line of coals & do the pork.......

I usually run either / both at 260~275, but if you're checking into higher temp cooks (brisket?) to see how that goes, do them separate...........

Whatever you decide, get a deep drip pan under that stuff....you're gonna be leakin'......preferably full of beans, onion & sweet peppers.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/nothing-new-just-some-pork-beans/msg26001/#msg26001
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 09:14:30 PM »
Whatever you decide, get a deep drip pan under that stuff....you're gonna be leakin'......

This!

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 03:37:04 AM »
@1buckie @austin87 I definitely have beans down under.

I think I have the 26er filled to max capacity..it was tricky getting the brisket and butt arranged on the grate. There is quite a bit of thermal mass under the hood (both meats and cast iron dutch oven), it's taken 90 minutes to get the temp to settle at 235. Hopefully as the meat absorbs heat the ambient temp at the grate will increase a little.

Planning to eat dinner around 6-6:30 so I think I have time. I figure with a hour rest that will give me about 10 hours of cook time

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:22:36 AM by jdefran »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 06:06:02 AM »
The "Entire Enchilada" ......as they say !!!!!

Best of luck & skill on the cook !!!!

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 02:21:31 AM »
@jdefran ...how did they turn out. Don't leave us hanging..

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 05:41:49 AM »
@jdefran ...how did they turn out. Don't leave us hanging..
The butt was great, beans were very good. The brisket point was perfect. The damn flat though was a little dry. The first few slices of the point were perfect, great pull apart, good moisture, passed the bend test. As I got further into the flat (about 5 slices in) the moisture seem to start to go away. My assumption is I didn't let rest long enough or should have cooked it longer (or a combination of the two).

To get back to the thread title/purpose, the 26er had enough capacity. I think it was maxed out for smoking purposes, with respect to keeping a big enough distance between meat and heat.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 06:30:55 AM »
I really want to find out "how much" longer people who know what they're doing cook the flat to get it to come out right......always seems just a bit off to me......at $7 a pound or whatever it is now, there has to be better results with this stuff....

I end up soaking over low heat in butter & auJus to soften the stuff up !!!!

Glad the "test" came out well in any event !!!!!

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 03:44:55 PM »
Thanks @1buckie, I feel empowered to cook at least 30 lbs of butts/picnics on there. Then while those rest do a bunch of chicken.. Sounds like it's time for a party!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 05:05:15 PM »
Thanks @1buckie, I feel empowered to cook at least 30 lbs of butts/picnics on there. Then while those rest do a bunch of chicken.. Sounds like it's time for a party!

Should work fine.....two 9~10# ones fit on a 22 with a little rotation....

bigredmf

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 12:06:25 PM »

Brisket and butt on a 6er

Red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 01:18:45 PM »
@bigredmf How did that brisket turn out? What kinda cook temp did you have?

bigredmf

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 04:49:35 AM »
The brisket was phenomenal
I posted the cook at 0145 est but did not detail the cook thoroughly
Someone suggested butt over brisket is something competition guys do and I would probably investigate that next time

I tried to run about 250 but it fluctuated a bit and and I have moved away from water pans but will probably go back except for a turkey cook

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/brisket-and-butt-cook/

Red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk