Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Gas assist question  (Read 2786 times)

clivingston1

• Happy Cooker
Gas assist question
« on: July 16, 2015, 01:46:51 PM »
I have a performer and am using the newer style charcoal baskets. I am wondering how long with new coals I should leave the gas assist on. Do I turn it on just for a bit or do I leave it on the whole time until the coals are ready? Thanks guys for any help.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Re: Gas assist question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 03:33:43 PM »
In my experience, the longer the gas is left on, the quicker the coals are ready.

I'm usually in no rush, so I take the cheapskate route and turn it off once I feel they are lit just enough to get going  ;D , which is about 1-minute. 

Oh, just noticed, welcome to the forum @clivingston1  !!!

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 04:53:14 PM »
First, Welcome to the WKC clivingston1, second get a Weber or another brand of charcoal chimney.
My approach is to fill the chimney full of KBB, light the gas and leave it going for 10 to 15 minutes,
the coals are going pretty good by then and they will be ready in 25 to 35 minutes total time.
Then you can fill your baskets or set them up how ever you need based on the cook you are
going to do.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 10:16:59 PM »
You can do either the baskets or get a chimney to start the coals with, I find the chimney seems to start faster.  I turn on my gas let it go for a few minutes (I'm frugal to!) and shut it off and let the chimney do its thing, oh and welcome!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 03:22:13 AM »
If you don't mind spending an extra $3-6 dollars get an extra two pack of propane tanks so you have the backups on hand and then let it ride until your charcoal is ready to go!

I usually let mine go until the middle coals in the chimney are lit and then i let it go, but on my last two cooks i was a bit distracted and left gas assist on longer.
I'm sure i used more propane that way but the coals were ready really fast.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Hoosier

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 04:35:35 AM »
For some reason I have a different username on my Tapatalk app. But thanks for the advice and welcome again. I have a SS Performer with a big tank, I made a pork chops last night and left it on for about 5 and the coals were ready in 20.

I like the charcoal baskets for moving the coals around and keeping the coals off my bowl. For some reason I cannot justify adding the extra step off using the chimney and then pouring the coals into the baskets.

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 06:13:53 AM »
I agree on 5 mins  then turn off   /// chimney`s are nice when you need to add lit coals to a cook in progress .02

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 07:30:25 AM »
I use a chimney.  I turn the gas off after 3 mins, and then let the briquets burn another 12-14 mins before dumping them (10 mins for lump charcoal). 
-Keith

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 07:50:28 AM »
A lot of varying advice here, but all very good.

I just picked up (rescued) my first Performer a few days ago, so this is all very helpful.  Thanks!  8)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

power

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 01:17:29 PM »
What do you mean big tank? As in 4kg gas bottle? Or 9kg?

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 03:21:49 PM »
I think the important thing here is that we all kind of have our own system to get similar results. I don't run the gas long because it warps the charcoal grate.  Just play with it, you will figure out quickly what works for you and your situation
-Keith