Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 4th Boston Butt  (Read 1288 times)

SunDevil98

• Happy Cooker
4th Boston Butt
« on: July 05, 2015, 03:13:40 PM »

I used my new 22.5" Jumbo Joe to smoke this Boston Butt. This was the first time I've ever used a Kettle grill as a smoker. I usually use my little R2D2 style smoker. I set it up with the snake method, and topped it off with peach wood chips.

I got a lot of backlash from others saying I used too much wood, and claiming it would taste horrible. However, this turned out to be quite delicious. Peach is a very light wood, and it didn't have an overwhelming smoky flavor.

It took about an hour for the grill to reach 250°, but once it did it remained at that temp the whole time. I cooked the butt for 9.5 hours total, and at the end it had an internal temp of just above 195°. I then wrapped it in aluminum foil, and let it set for about 10-15 minutes before pulling it. I used Weber Sriracha rub, and it made for a very tasty bark.

This was, hands down, the best Boston Butt I've smoked. I was very impressed with the Weber grill, and the snake method. I'll definitely be doing this again.

SD

SunDevil98

SD'98
"Fear the Fork!!!" ---E

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
Re: 4th Boston Butt
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 07:24:36 PM »
All woods are different and each person has different tastes. Too much wood - too little wood...sounds like an argument to be had at a competition. If you liked it that's all that matters.

I always hope for two things as I head into a cook 1) I want to learn something new about the...fill in the blank - temperature control, meat, rub, placement on the grill, charcoal set up...whatever. And 2) I hope that what comes out at the end of all of it is edible...ha. This may be a low bar but it keeps me grilling and the food just keeps getting better.

Great cook and great pictures. Keep it up!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Keep it simple stupid

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 08:11:16 PM »
Good looking pork! Nice job!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 09:47:08 PM »
Well done, my man!  I cook butts in my Outrider all the time now.

No need for a smoker … These little guys perform just fine.   :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 10:24:39 PM »
Looks great!  Did you do drip beans also?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 06:56:56 AM »
Nice cook, looks great!

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 06:43:04 PM »
That butt looks delicious!