Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dream Realized - Restoration of a Glen Blue Imperial!  (Read 6116 times)

SixZeroFour

Dream Realized - Restoration of a Glen Blue Imperial!
« on: June 27, 2015, 09:50:53 PM »
Many folks have now put the puzzle pieces together and figured out that the eBay Imperial came to reside at "The Hedge" ... but what most don't know is that it was actually a joint venture with my good friend @Plant_City_Mike 8)

A few days after the kettle had been posted up on eBay we were chatting on the phone and realized that we were going to be bidding against each other - So rather than drive up the price we came up with a plan to pool our resources both financially and connection-wise and work as a team to secure 2 GB's. Part of the deal is that each kettle will come to me for a complete restore and Mike graciously said that this one could stay with me! We've worked together on multiple kettle deals now and it always works out great for us so we're sticking with what works! Thanks again Michael, a pleasure working with you as always sir!

Regarding the price - I know to most people think we are insane to spend that kind of money on a kettle, but really you only live once! and I'm also not just going out of pocket to buy this sort of stuff. I flip a LOT of gassers and kettles in order to feed my addiction hobby, and have been very fortunate so far this summer. The enjoyment I got out of the hunt, the teamwork and planning to make it come together, the anticipation before it arrives and then having the opportunity to actually restore it is a huge thrill for me and well worth the $.

A big thank you goes out to Mr @LightningBoldtz for stepping up huge and acting as the agent on this. Without his generosity none of this would have come together like it did. You're a rockstar Jeff - Thanks again! I'm just in love with this kettle!

So without further ado...

Here's one quick before and after shot of the lower bowl section. As you can see it looked pretty rough in the listing photos. And yes, those are the same original dampers that came on the kettle 8) I put about 6 or 7 hours into the total overhaul.

After we won the auction I had decided that I was going to touch up the kettle and make it just a looker, but after seeing it in person and cleaning it up I just need to cook on this thing! I did do two touch-ups however - a couple small dings on each of the bowl handles. Since these aren't exposed to as much heat I decided to clean them up a bit. Still cant believe how well the color matched up...

And the rest is pretty much self explanatory! The triangle was completely detailed, new legs installed, added the ash-pan and then soaked the thumbscrews in Evaporust to clean them up a bit. The finishing touch was a mahogany 2-rivet handle. I know the proper era-correct replica wouldn't have the Weber lettering but I love it as-is :)

Thanks once again to PCM and LB - both fantastic people willing to go out of their way to help others! This place really does kick ass!!

PS - Keep an eye out for this GB at the eCook!! ;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:00:29 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Dream Realized - Restoration of a Glen Blue Imperial!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 09:56:33 PM »
That is beautiful, you did a fantastic job on the restoration!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 10:01:35 PM »
That is fantastic sir.

I think that's the best glen blue i've ever seen. Great work!!!

Can you tell me what the paint is?

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 10:18:41 PM »
That is a gorgeous Imperial! I knew it would come back to life! I hope to rescue a Glen myself someday. Congratulations, @SixZeroFour !

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 10:21:16 PM »
You know you can get nickel plated axel caps that match the originals that were on that kettle right?
I think they're like $1 at lowes.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 10:37:46 PM »
Have seen you guys use them but I can't seem to find them up here. I'll need to hit up Lowes next time I'm in WA... Are they sold as "axle caps"?
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 10:48:57 PM »
It really is pretty damn amazing how well these kettles clean up. That's some fine RRR. A dream realized indeed. Put that kettle to work! Action shots!

They might have some at the corner hardware store around the corner from me. I'll peek in there tomorrow. I'd love to be a small part of this.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 11:31:21 PM »
Have seen you guys use them but I can't seem to find them up here. I'll need to hit up Lowes next time I'm in WA... Are they sold as "axle caps"?

yeah, they're in the fastener aisle, in the slidey drawer thingies.

if you need, i can buy a bunch for you and ship them. Heck, I can still fit them into the package I have on my front door step if you wanted :\

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 02:58:03 AM »
Yeah Lowes and Home depot have the chrome push nuts or cap nuts, I like to use those on all my kettles.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_137200-37672-880516_1z0yk2s__?productId=3012502&pl=1

The before and after are amazing Matt, you do top notch work.  I was a joy to help in getting this kettle out to you.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 03:00:53 AM »
Fantastic work Matt. It looks amazing.
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 03:10:15 AM »
There is more to the story for those who have been following just prior to this going down Matt convinced me for the first(and probably only) time to have a beautiful Red 22 shipped to me (am really cheap).  He was kind enough to forego any profit on the deal for him, he knew that since I had sold my Lime to MrHoss I had been in the hunt for a really nice older kettle.   He certainly delivered, I know Reds are fairly common but man I am not sure I would have hand picked any other color, the condition is amazing.  So Matt was able to pack the box for the kettle that would be coming back to him as at this time he had won the auction.

It was a cool transaction how it all went down.

With the condition that this kettle was in I told the sellers I wouldn't pay $50 for it, with the condition it is in now I probably would.  :)

Here are a few shots at my house

I think Matt could start a business doing restores, you do amazing work buddy.

I am curious the best way to secure vents after they have been drilled out to keep them from coming loose and not damage the porcelain
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:18:11 AM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 05:27:13 AM »
Wow amazing. Congratulations on your beautiful blue.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 05:58:21 AM »
Incredible job on the clean up and the procurement! Love to hear and see stories like this. Can't wait to see that thing cooking come the eCook!
Nice job!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 06:37:40 AM »
that's a beautiful kettle, nice job guys.
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 07:20:38 AM »
Great WKC teamwork Jeff and Mike!

Matt - I knew you, of all people, would make that kettle come to life.  I am blown away by how good it looks given where it started.  A true grail.

Congrats!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.