Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sneak peek. Can you spot all of the mods?  (Read 5099 times)

SixZeroFour

Re: Sneak peek. Can you spot all of the mods?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 10:12:51 AM »
That's awesome Troy!! Undermounting the bowl below the frame was a brilliant idea - and with the threaded rod you can set the exact height you want... smart man!  8) 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 12:36:15 PM »
Yeah!!
I turned the 'high capacity' ash bucket into a 'lower capacity' ash bucket.
It will still hold more than a disc, and it will still be safer.
I had to cut about 1.5 inches from it so I could lower the bowl more.
I needed to lower the bowl more in order to make room so the bandit midsection would have enough clearance.
Cutting down the ash bucket and drilling and cutting the holes and notches for the handle was a fun little project.
I started with the dremel, but it was taking forever. Todd,  at Home Depot, said a $17 pair of aviation snips would cut through it like butter.
Well Todd is either an asshole, or keeps his butter in the freezer - because even with the snips it was very difficult.

never take the advice of a due that's fixin' to sell you a tool.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 08:44:11 PM »
Lol.. Ash can was the first thing I keyed in on when look at the picture.  I need to do the same to the kettle I have in my Seville. It sits about an inch above the shelf grate and removing the ash bowl is a major PITA. Good stuff sir.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 09:30:06 PM »
Lol.. Ash can was the first thing I keyed in on when look at the picture.  I need to do the same to the kettle I have in my Seville. It sits about an inch above the shelf grate and removing the ash bowl is a major PITA. Good stuff sir.
Oh wow.  I really did think no one would ever need to do this.

Please post pics when you get it done!  =)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 07:42:07 PM »
It's nice to see your red ss with the Cajun bandit. Has the guru been a game changer. I've thought about getting one. I'm a little worried about putting a hole in my red ss. I also have a black gen. 3  without gas does the air leaking out around the gas pipe effect the guru performance .

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 09:10:07 PM »
It's nice to see your red ss with the Cajun bandit. Has the guru been a game changer. I've thought about getting one. I'm a little worried about putting a hole in my red ss. I also have a black gen. 3  without gas does the air leaking out around the gas pipe effect the guru performance .

Honestly, i don't think i've used the bbq guru in several years.

I originally got it when i was doing a lot of pulled pork catering. I had a specific job that called for a full smoker and it was a week night during the winter. I bought it on a whim and it served its purpose to get me through several tough weather smokes.

I've since moved to southern california, where hot days are 90 and cold days are 70. Cold nights are 50 and it rarely rains.

If you live in a climate with dynamic weather, its a great tool.
If you want a set it and forget it solution, its a great tool.
If you have trouble controlling temps and don't like fiddling with vents on long smokes, it can be a great tool

It's not foolproof though. It will bring temps up, but not down.

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 04:24:10 AM »
Thanks for the info Troy .

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 05:42:43 AM »
Anytime!

And for what its worth, the only high tech feature I would really desire is wi-fi control. The ability to connect via your phone or laptop or computer at 4 in the morning and raise/lower temps without going outside, that's where its at.
The ability to go to starbucks, log in and see how your Q is doing, that's the life.