Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Paint  (Read 4293 times)

kevinsmith812

• Smokey Joe
Paint
« on: June 04, 2015, 04:04:26 PM »
So the blue I got Sunday has some chips on the lid. Noob question but do you just live with it or try and match the paint some how?

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Paint
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 04:17:13 PM »
From what I've seen, it doesn't last and I don't think you're going to find anything close to that blue in a high heat paint (like the Rustoleum 2000 degree stuff). Put a sticker over it :)

kevinsmith812

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 04:21:53 PM »
The lid fit is also not perfect and their is a small air gap in the top vent when closed because the lid is not perfect. Anyone successfully get their lid in better shape?

It's not bad but it does not cool off quickly when shutting it down. It holds 200 for a few hours.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 04:25:57 PM »
Diff kettles shut down differently.  I have 2 performers..one shuts down in less than an hr...one shuts down after 3 hrs.
try reshaping the lid damper to fit lid..keep pusing down in spot..while pushing down on thenwhole damper..and repeatnwhile rotating..i fixed a flappy damperbthis way.
check if your lid is put of round and bend it intonshape if it doesnt seat oerfectly
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 04:28:01 PM »
You can try to paint but..younwill be using black high heat so..it wont match....takes time...
Good if you want to prevent rust but also may not last long.
i was gona paint a few reds and ended up returning the paint.
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 04:29:34 PM »
If it bothers you a lot ..order a new lid and sell yours...it would probably sell fast so you can recoup partial costs of new lid buy
Grills

kevinsmith812

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 04:38:35 PM »
Thanks guys. This site is awesome for help. Officially trashed my gas grill and have went all charcoal! How do you convince your wives that you need multiple grills? Mine already thinks I'm crazy. And when I finally bring an SS home she might kill me!

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 04:41:03 PM »
How do you convince your wives that you need multiple grills? Mine already thinks I'm crazy. And when I finally bring an SS home she might kill me!

You don't, you just bring it home.

Mine already thinks I'm crazy.

Perfect! No other explanation is necessary  8)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 05:11:01 PM »
@effinUker  well said...
Yeah just bring em home...convincing part is easy...cook on em...also every meal you cook is one less she does and a lot less pots and pans in the sink...i think charcoal grilling is cheaper than kitchen after you take into account water /soap and sponges required to cleanup...
grills..just burn and brush the grates..no mess inside
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 05:12:09 PM »
If you find a ss performer dont ask...run outta your house pay cash with a smile and fire her up
Grills

kevinsmith812

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 05:26:38 PM »
That's how I felt for this modern performer for $75. She was like where are you going? "Can't talk!"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 06:38:03 PM »
I've done some work as a photography assistant, outdoors. Sometimes we had to park the truck in questionable places. "Should we go ask ... ?"

"Not necessarily. It's better to get the job done and ask for forgiveness later if necessary."

It can be like that with kettle acquisitions. But if you don't do this fairly regularly:

"convincing part is easy...cook on em"

you'll be dead meat for sure
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 06:40:25 PM »
Air can get in through intake blades that don't sweep the bowl closely, where bowl and lid meet, and lid damper. The bowl and/or lid can be "bear hugged" if out of round, with variable results. And yeah some setups cool down very quickly and some just waste more charcoal unfortunately.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 04:46:26 AM »
RUST

I Trim up a lot of Chicken skin / fat. (always freeze any extra in a zip bag)

Rub it on the Hot lid. this seasons any damage (blackens some areas) but cures & prevents rust (use @ weld joints too)

SEAL

throw some trimmings directly over good size bed of coals & put the lid on w/ pinched exhaust wheel.

The sticky burning fat smoke will help season & seal the inside of the kettle, between & after cleanings.
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 04:48:52 AM »
FIX WARP

Use a yard stick or (fixed measuring stick) @ multiple diameter points determine where the bend needs to be resolved.
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE