Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Temp Controller  (Read 1952 times)

OnDaRocks

• Smokey Joe
Temp Controller
« on: May 08, 2015, 05:14:53 AM »
Just curious have any of you guys tried one of those temperature controller setups on a kettle. 
-hot grills and smokin' good food
22" black One Touch Sliver x 2

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
Re: Temp Controller
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 08:45:49 AM »
K.I.S.S.
Degrees of intake via OTG & amount of lit coals...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 04:37:31 PM »
Seriously. Give yourself time to set up the machine and monitor it for a bit before putting food on. More often than not it should hold steady. Changes to coals and vents take time to reveal.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 09:51:02 PM »
I have and love my pitmaster iq 110. I use it on my 18.5 WSM. it works like a charm. I haven't used it on any of my kettles, but theoretically, if you set up your kettle correctly(top vent open full, bottom vents all closed/sealed except for the tube opening), it'll work the same.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Spinning Smoke

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 08:48:22 AM »
mrbill
can you explain the tube openings

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 09:12:36 AM »
@Spinning Smoke more info here: http://pitmasteriq.com/catalog/product/view/id/2

What it does is take over control of the airflow of the kettle.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 02:05:37 PM »
mrbill
can you explain the tube openings

there is a tube that directs the air from the fan into the charcoal chamber. it has a cup that goes over the vent that the air is blown into. obviously that vent needs to be open, or the fan won't be able to direct more air into the chamber as needed. the other bottom vents stay closed though. top vent should always be open when you're cooking and closed when you aren't. as for a kettle, if you have an older one with the three vents, proceed as above. if yours has the one-touch system, you'll have to block two of the openings completely and enough of the third that only air from the tube is reaching the coals. lid vent should still be open either way.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 02:08:23 PM by mrbill »
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank