Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Advice Please! MT or PD  (Read 8847 times)

shkish

• Smokey Joe
Advice Please! MT or PD
« on: April 24, 2015, 06:50:48 AM »
Help! Which new Weber Kettle should I purchase as an anniversary present for my husband??? We've had a charcoal grill for a couple years (a cheap we rescued from a trash pile), but it's time to upgrade.

I am looking at the new Master Touch and the Performer Deluxe.  Obviously there is a huge price difference, but functionally, will I/he regret not having the attached table and the gas starter?  We are both pretty handy/crafty, so building a table to attach is a fun future option.  Funds are limited, so I we go with the MT I can also accessories now…

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:52:24 AM by shkish »

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Advice Please! MT or PD
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 07:08:55 AM »
I say if You can afford it, go with the performer deluxe. It's an amazing product. It's truly a pleasure to use, such a fantastic experience.
There's a full review here showing all its great features: http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/10/15/2015-weber-performer-deluxe-review/

Plus it looks AMAZING in copper, available from Lowes and Amazon

Jeep

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 07:13:05 AM »
Either one is a grate choice.  If you check amazon you can get the Performer in green or copper not just the black that you will find locally.  I believe the MT is only available in black. 

In my opinion, Colors are the way to go.  Everyone has a black weber.
22 Performer - Black - AA ** 22 OTS - Black - Cajun Bandit - AD ** 22 MT - Burgundy - EO
18 OTS - Guinness - DZ **  SJG - Black - Turned into Mini WSM  ** SJS - Lime - AT (x2)

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 07:18:48 AM »
Great advice - both are amazing grills but the Performer Deluxe's table and gas assist ignition really gives you everything in one. If space or budget is a consideration the MT is also one of the best cookers out there... You really can't go wrong 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 07:25:44 AM »
The Crimson changes colour when it comes to heat:

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 07:26:04 AM »
I agree with everyone else..both are great cookers!! I am a HUGE MT fan, but there is not much more convenient as the table and the gas start. I use my Performer almost daily and am really spoiled..seems like work when I have to use a kettle without the gas start. Colors are another huge advantage unless you can get one of the colored MT's made outside of the US. If you can afford and have the room, go Performer. If you are a little tighter on the budget, MT is a great choice.

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 07:58:13 AM »
@shkish welcome to the forums  also look at the 26.75 kettle too 

shkish

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 08:20:15 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I am more partial to the all-in-one Performer.  But the MT comes with all the grates that I want.  Oh man would I LOVE to get my hands on the overseas colors! That cream, aqua or green, sigh..  Why aren't they available here, seeing as they are MADE here!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 08:28:48 AM »
I used to only have plain kettles and never thought i would need/want a Performer, i now have two and love them!  As others have said the gas assist is great for starting your charcoal.

I do use my MTs all the time and i use a table next to it to set things on (trays with food to go on the grill and take off the grill) and would think you would be well served by either one.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 08:38:46 AM »
My last grill was an older One touch platinum with a side table which was great, but i just upgraded to the Performer Deluxe and couldn't be happier.

The metal table is very durable and super easy to clean.

The larger lid bale makes tending food and coals much easier.

The Gas Assist is an absolute game changer. My chimney are ready in half the time, and if i am lighting just a few coals for a minion cook on my WSM they are glowing in minutes.

It's expensive, but its money well spent. Both the MT and Performer have the gourmet grate which i am really liking too.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 08:45:56 AM »
Both the MT and Performer have the gourmet grate which i am really liking too.

But unless they've changed something for 2015, new Performers don't come with the GBS. Just want to make that clear for the OP.

shkish,

Crate & Barrel also has medium/dark blue for 2015, http://www.crateandbarrel.com/weber-blue-performer-deluxe-charcoal-grill/s379523

The overseas colors probably won't be happening anytime soon; the North American market apparently can't support that many.

The MasterTouch comes with the 8835 system grate; it's only a $35 purchase separately for another 22.5" kettle such as the Performers: http://www.amazon.com/Weber-8835-Gourmet-System-Cooking/dp/B0044EQM9Q/ref=pd_sim_lg_84?ie=UTF8&refRID=10HDWG27NJ3J317DP8KT

So in other words those extra grates would be extra with the MasterTouch anyway ... except for one more, the 3200 warming rack. It currently is only available in North America with a new MasterTouch, although few places online have some leftover for about $25. I'll have more to say about the warming rack on this site; it's actually a second cooking rack for doing say, indirect cooks.

Either machine will let you grow and accessorize and have fun! Some folks here have, um more than one kettle (shh! don't tell our wives ... oh, wait ... did I say the soft part loud again?)

If you want to stay smart with funds you cannot go wrong by forgoing the table, gas assist and potential colors today of the Performer, and the M/T was what I'd recommend based on your initial post.

Besides, used Performers pop up every year on Craigslist, in various colors and conditions. Parts (and knowledge) are readily available for any issue that comes up, no matter the age of the machine, if he or you is handy with tools and such.

Can you tell we're all excited for you? Er, your husband, that is. (If you're nice he may let you use the grill ...)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 09:00:29 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I am more partial to the all-in-one Performer.  But the MT comes with all the grates that I want.  Oh man would I LOVE to get my hands on the overseas colors! That cream, aqua or green, sigh..  Why aren't they available here, seeing as they are MADE here!

I'm pretty sure that the new Performers come with the Gourmet BBQ System grate but don't have the warming rack that's included with the Master Touch.  However, you can buy the warming rack separately now.  http://www.amazon.com/Weber-3200-Kettle-Warming-Rack/dp/B00004U9VB/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1429894569&sr=8-16&keywords=weber+warming+rack

Not trying to sway you away from the Master Touch.  I love mine.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 09:46:12 AM »
OK that's good news about the current Performer coming with the GBS!

... However, you can buy the warming rack separately now.  http://www.amazon.com/Weber-3200-Kettle-Warming-Rack/dp/B00004U9VB/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1429894569&sr=8-16&keywords=weber+warming+rack

Yes, but Bourlier's is a Michigan retailer with an Amazon presence. Unless other sources for the warming rack become available, my suspicion is that they are just moving old stock, not getting supplied by Weber with that today.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 09:47:54 AM »
You didn't post where you are located, but I second the advice of @addicted-to-smoke to consider checking craigslist. Used performers regularly pop up around me (Boston area) for between $100 and $150, and I've personally scored 3 for $20, $20 and $30. Your husband sounds like the type of guy who would have no problem with saving money and getting used. I've never used a MasterTouch, but I love my performer.  It is my favorite grill to use, and almost everything about it is very well thought out and engineered.  Like others have said, you really can't go wrong.  Good luck and welcome.  Hope that you and he stay on the forums.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 10:06:43 AM »
Crate & Barrel also has medium/dark blue for 2015, http://www.crateandbarrel.com/weber-blue-performer-deluxe-charcoal-grill/s379523

I think Ace is the or one of the dealers for it in Crimson.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=50759396&cp=2608353.4235681.21391086

the Performer Deluxe is a special grill and the 2015, current model, is the best yet.