Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: any tips and tricks for apartment dwellers and patio grillers?  (Read 3568 times)

Troy

• Statesman
As title says, many people are limited on space for grilling.

People who live in apartments usually have small patios.

I'm working on a blog post (to publish TODAY)
I need some tips, tricks, and equipment recommendations.

Please help :)

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: any tips and tricks for apartment dwellers and patio grillers?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 01:23:14 PM »
First..check fire code. Here in texas it's not legal to have a grill on your patio in an apartment. People do it but whatever. .

I'd recommend a Q or a 18OTG
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 04:58:02 PM »
Lessee,

Step 1: A Penthouse for your penthouse

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 07:23:51 PM »
If a grill is OK on a patio, might want to consider a OTG instead of a OTS since the ashes could blow around and who knows go on the deck below.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 07:52:11 PM »
First..check fire code. Here in texas it's not legal to have a grill on your patio in an apartment. People do it but whatever. .

I'd recommend a Q or a 18OTG
CA varies by county but most places won't let you cook with coals due to fire regulations. Some are more lenient in practice than by the book. Two of the grills I have I picked up because people moved into condos/apartments and couldn't use them.

Gas grills depend on the municipality. Some associations allow no open flame at all, including gas. Some folks might need to get an electric Q or a cast iron grill pan. Job/commute to the South Bay was the number one reason I moved out of San Francisco. Not being able to have a kettle was a very close number two.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 03:33:12 AM »
lol... crappy open faced apartment grills is how I got weberitis.  I had a failed cook with the whole family over for burgers by the pool. I bought a brick red OTP at ACE the next day.

I'd also recommend a grill with an ash catcher. I would imagine the drought has a more than a few folks worried about fires. Be safe.. beware of lively lump charcoal.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 04:45:59 AM »
Rent a garage, if ones available, or a storage locker to keep all your extra grills in.

Its kinda like renting a second apartment to keep all your junk in.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 12:06:02 PM »
First tip, I'd consider moving...

In Russia I remember old brick quad (2x2) with semi open fireplace/oven/chimney in the middle, cooking could heat center walls of apartment.
Seemed logical, should have took picture

Second tip: inside

FINALLY WE CAN DO IT!!

HEY WHY NOT...

(CEILING MOUNT OPTIONS)

...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 04:00:11 PM »
First tip, I'd consider moving...

That is exactly what I did..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 06:58:24 PM »
Maybe get a smokey joe and use those bic BBQ charcoal substutes there like sterno cans. I used 1 camping when we couldn't use charcoal and it did the trick.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 09:11:32 PM »
unless it's one of the few places that allow charcoal on the patio, the only real answer is electric. aside from counter top clam shell grills, the best options imo are an electric weber q or one of the kettle shaped foreman grills.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 08:06:25 AM »
If you wanted to smoke something an electric MAY do the trick. When I first got into bbq I was foolish and thought a Bradley smoker would do the trick. Some folks love the things but I found it a inferior product in so many ways - mine has been sitting unused for a good year and a half. I have tried food made in a Cookshack and found it very worth....those cost around 700 USD but I do believe I could find the space for one should I find the opportunity. With something like an electric I think you get what you pay for.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 05:14:18 AM »
Get a regular grill.  Run an extension cord to it.  When questioned, hold up the cord and say "It IS electric, see?"

Maybe also research the fines and consider it a tax to eat well.  Or move.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 05:16:32 AM »
....Get a regular grill.  Run an extension cord to it.  When questioned, hold up the cord and say "It IS electric, see?"

Maybe also research the fines and consider it a tax to eat well.  Or move....

Hilarious!!
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE