Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Traffic Court  (Read 3914 times)

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
Traffic Court
« on: April 14, 2015, 06:18:18 PM »
About a month ago I got pulled over by a state trooper for having an expired safety/emissions inspection sticker.  I tried to act like I hadn't noticed that it was expired, but the trooper wasn't buying it. He wrote me a ticket. The next day I took my car to the shop and got it inspected.

Today was my day to appear in court to answer for the ticket. I was nervous because that ticket carries a fine of up to $200. Luckily the ADA felt that because I had taken care of it in a timely fashion, the ticket should be dropped. The judge agreed and I was off the hook without having to pay a cent. I left the court house thinking that the day couldn't get much better.

I was wrong....

As I was driving home, I turned a corner, and there by the side of a house sat a red MBH.

It was leaning pretty bad to one side but I figured it was worth stopping in to ask about it.  I turned around and pulled in the driveway. I knocked, and an older lady came to the door.  She asked if she could help me. I said "this may sound a little odd... But I was driving by and saw the old red Weber grill beside the house.  Would you be..."  She interrupted me with: "take it!!" 

I explained that I collected and restored them and she was happy that I was going to take it. I loaded it up and headed home.

All in all a pretty good day. :)

Here are some photos:

Grail: THE AMBASSADOR

Shafzilla

• WKC Brave
Re: Traffic Court
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 06:28:51 PM »
Can't beat free! Congrats!
"Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing."- Ron Swanson

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 06:33:43 PM »
I need to put my glasses when I am driving. Unfortunately it's usually dark out when I am driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 06:34:34 PM »
That's a perfect end to what turned out to be a great day! Congrats on the freebie!

@Jeff @Troy

Another example of a PAT PENDING with plastic hubs on metal wheels...

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 06:44:49 PM »
That's a perfect end to what turned out to be a great day! Congrats on the freebie!

@Jeff @Troy

I have another Pat. Pending with the same setup. Maybe they are late Pat. Pending?
Grail: THE AMBASSADOR

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 06:52:23 PM »

@Jeff @Troy

I have another Pat. Pending with the same setup. Maybe they are late Pat. Pending?

.....and deep-ass SHINY RED !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 07:01:15 PM »

Most definitely not the first, but not the last ones. 'PENDING's started with metal hubs/metal wheels (1969)  then to plastic/metal like here and then to transitional plastic rims, hubcaps/rubber treads or "half rubbers" (most PENDINGS are found with half rubbers) and a few examples even got as far as the all plastic wheels.... This one here is a likely 1970.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 09:04:44 PM »
But @Craig,   How do you know they are the original hubs?  Short of NIBs or obvous attic specimens that were never used, I have a hard time assuming those hubs are original.  Maybe they are, maybe we have more facts, but they could easily have been replacements right?

Awesome pick up by the way Dan!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 09:19:32 PM »

But @Craig,   How do you know they are the original hubs?  Short of NIBs or obvous attic specimens that were never used, I have a hard time assuming those hubs are original.  Maybe they are, maybe we have more facts, but they could easily have been replacements right?

Awesome pick up by the way Dan!

There have been several examples seen here on WKC and other sites over the years of PAT PENDINGS having plastic hubcaps with metal wheels. Some may or may not have been replacements but that would point to many 1969 kettles as having bad or faulty metal hubs originally, since we still see many 50-60 year old kettles with original rusty metal hubcaps pre restore. It's just a small piece in the puzzle of Weber history. :)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 11:30:00 PM »
i dunno about those plastic hubs.
i could see a lot of people replacing those. over the course of the last 40 years, imagine how many times kettles get moved. You move a kettle, you take it apart. I've never been able to remove an axle nut without ruining it. Those old metal ones are prone to falling off once they're loosened up. It's now the 70s and the grill is ten years old and keeps loosing a wheel. Hit the hardware store and find a replacement.

i think we should find the patent on those plastic hubbed axle nuts and see if its possible.

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 11:41:08 PM »
Nice pick up @Dan NY.  That's a great project.  About Five years ago my 26" was my first resto.  Granted, mine wasn't as rough as yours but it was pretty bad.  Alot of scrubbing and rubber mallet work it turned out pretty good and it's still my go-to kettle.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 12:55:09 AM »
I remember that one ^^^^^^^^

Amazing you were able to pound out the dent in the top to be so smooth !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 04:50:18 AM »
Great story...so the trooper ticket helped out a kettle search, find and rescue...
Grills

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 12:08:13 PM »
Karma, baby!  That abused redhead just needs a little love.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 12:17:26 PM »
Congrats Dan.  A great day all around!  Looking forward to your restoration.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.