Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ash Sweeper Part 1  (Read 2554 times)

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Ash Sweeper Part 1
« on: April 08, 2015, 04:42:03 PM »
My poor man's performer has been the subject of many experiments over the years, today is no exception. Its ash sweeper quit sweeping, years ago, and I fixed it by attaching a ring to all three sweeps.

That worked fine for a long time before the whole thing came apart. Then i just kept on cooking on it and wasting charcoal, which isn't all bad because the dry heat helps keep the kettle and grate clean.

Today I got busy and rummaged through my scrap heap and found some stuff that could be made into the sweeper blades. I attached them to a 7/8" bolt, that fits the hole in the kettle perfectly. The bolt is way to long but itll work til the sweeps rust out again or I redesign it. Fortunately i have another kettle that needs the sweeper replaced in it too, hence part 1.

I havent tryed it out yet, cooking, but the blades fit tight enough to hang up on the spot welds where the leg brackets are welded to the kettle. The next set will be longer so they reach up the side of the bowl, I may run them all the way up to the fire grate next time. Some day I'll make a ash catcher for it, similar to the gold/performer's ash catcher.

Thats all I got for now.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:10:40 PM by Hell Fire Grill »
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Ash Sweeper Part 1
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 04:49:52 PM »
That's pretty darn cool.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 04:51:53 PM »
H.....you're a one-of-a-kind !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 09:32:17 AM »
Good stuff, HFG! 

I'm kinda Jonesing to weld … waiting for the weather to warm-up some.  Got a few projects rolling around in my brain.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 02:00:30 PM »
Well the blades hold air well enough to have a cold grill by the time I finished eating dinner.

Good stuff, HFG! 

I'm kinda Jonesing to weld … waiting for the weather to warm-up some.  Got a few projects rolling around in my brain.

If I recall you picked up a little welder last year didnt you? You can do it Mac.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 11:06:13 PM »
If I recall you picked up a little welder last year didnt you? You can do it Mac.

Yeah, I picked it up in the Fall of 2012, but didn't use it until 2013.

It's just a no-name flux-core wire welder.  Nothing fancy.  Does a decent job for what I got it for.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.