Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: After Market Casters  (Read 4807 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
After Market Casters
« on: March 22, 2015, 06:40:07 PM »
The Weber casters on my 3 SS Perfs suck. At least three of the 6 are seized up and do not spin.

Are there after market options for new castors?  Would like something that is SS or at least non-corrosive with a durable rubber or polyurethane wheel.

Have spent too much time searching and have not come up with a suitable replacement.

Thanks.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: After Market Casters
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 07:09:13 PM »
I picked up some replacements at Ace Hardware. They do not have the locks, but I prefer them this way. They were only a few bucks and have held up very well.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 07:26:18 PM »
Will look, thanks. I actually prefer no locks. I don't think the help and if accidently left lock and moved can flatten a wheel pretty quick. One of my Perfs came with flat wheels on the castors (that don't spin either.)

Rsmims

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 10:41:42 PM »
Would you be looking for genuine Weber replacements?
I think I saw some at an Ace Hardware out here.
I'll look if your interested.
I don't see colors, I just see kettles....And I want them all !!!
I like Pig Butts and I cannot lie.
I've seen the wild horses,   I've heard the bullroarers.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 02:44:08 AM »
Searched last year as well. Everything that's designed better is either a larger diameter wheel, takes a different post size (or doesn't use a post ...) or is a very different style.

Other than those issues, there's lots to choose from. :\
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 04:39:42 AM »
The ones I picked up were not with the Weber stuff. They were Ace branded and with all the other casters and furniture leg caps. They are an exact match minus the lock mechanism.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 02:45:59 PM »
^^^^^^
what he said.

I've replaced practically every locking dual wheel casters with replacements from Home Depot, Lowes or Ace.

here is a good link for ALL things casters:

http://www.castercity.com/carpet-furniture-casters.htm
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 10:55:41 AM »
I'd lke to add a couple of things I've learned from replacing the casters on 4 or 5 SSPs.

1, the shorter, old style caster insert holds the aftermarket casters better than the longer, newer style caster insert.

(When did they change the caster insert from the shorter to the newer style?)

2, it is easy to drill out the old style insert to have drainage holes like the new style.  I think I use an 1/8" drill.

New Style on the left:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:08:25 AM by ClubChapin »

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 11:12:53 AM »
Thanks for that info. Lowes also has those but sold in singles. Amazon would be a little cheaper.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Waxman-2-in-Rubber-Swivel-Caster/3037441
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »
The Lowes may also be a 2 pack.

From the other thread about these:
"I ordered these online from Lowes yesterday and had my wife pick them up after work. They were $5.97 plus tax, and I ordered two so the total was $12.95.

Much to my surprise, she came home with two packages with two casters each. That's quite a piece of hardware for only $3."

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 11:29:30 AM »
Hmm I will have to check that out.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 11:53:37 AM »
I don't know if you'll find the correct height but if you search "expanding stem caster" for 1-1/8" square tubing, i think that's what you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 12:13:01 PM »
I don't know if you'll find the correct height but if you search "expanding stem caster" for 1-1/8" square tubing, i think that's what you're looking for.

The casters we've been discussing from HD/ACE/Lowes/Amazon work with the factory caster inserts.  These do look interesting.  2" are the size we need.  Do you know if they are available in 2"?

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 05:06:47 PM »

The casters we've been discussing from HD/ACE/Lowes/Amazon work with the factory caster inserts.  These do look interesting.  2" are the size we need.  Do you know if they are available in 2"?
Like i said, I'm not sure if you'll find the correct height but i think that's the only way you'll be able to get a rubber wheel. I know you can get the "expander" parts separately and they are designed usually for a 3/8" threaded stud but i don't know if a 2" caster would have a long stud on it. By long, i mean 2-3 inches, enough to put the rubber sleeve that smashes down to expand, plastic bushings, and a nut. I became familiar with this when i put them on my ssp, however, mine are taller because i used pneumatic tires instead of the original weber ones.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app