Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber covers -new style/old style  (Read 2313 times)

butkusrules

• Smokey Joe
Weber covers -new style/old style
« on: February 16, 2015, 08:06:49 AM »
New or older version Weber covers. Which is better, older seems so much heavier/beefier. Is there something I'm not seeing with the 10 dollar more expensive new cover? Is material better?  Is the attached bag that great?

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
Re: Weber covers -new style/old style
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 01:11:58 PM »
Time well tell.I liked they older one because of the weight but it started to crack after 3 years. I have the new one and if hasn't blown away, and we do have winds around here. Well see how it hold up. The material is nice it seems.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 12:27:16 AM »
I've got a new style on my Genesis Silver B.  Fits a touch tight lengthwise but that paired with the velcro straps on the sides keep it nice and tight on the grill and don't allow it to "parachute" up and off the grill.  We live in a coastal area and it can get pretty windy here so that's a plus.  The material is somewhat thinner and flexible.  Repells water very well.  I've only had it for about 3 months so time will tell.  My personal thought is the attached bag is dumb.  The way I use the cover is to take it off, grill, when the grill cools put it back on.  Taking the time to stuff it in a small bag seems kind of like wasted time.  YMMV

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 08:25:10 PM »
I love the bag, It will suit me well....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 12:07:50 PM »
I just bought a new cover for my 26" kettle, and I'm not impressed. Only time will tell how well the fabric holds up, but it doesn't seem to be as durable as the premium Weber covers my other grills wear. And for the life of me, I cannot understand the pocket. It does a good job keeping the cover compact and contained pre-sale, but once the cover is in use I don't see why anybody would ever need or want to try to stuff the cover back into that little pocket. This is pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that their decision to add the pocket was so that they could save money by omitting the colorful box that the premium covers used to come in. I'm going to cut the pocket off of mine. I'm probably going to cut the strap off too. It's a decent idea, but since there's only one strap a big wind gust would probably rip it off anyway.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 12:53:28 PM »
i think the pocket is awesome. instead of leaving the cover stuffed into a corner or under a bag of charcoal, just wad it up and stuff it in its own pocket.

I'm sure that practice alone will make the cover more durable. My covers always get destroyed by hot chimneys, sharp things like nails sticking out from railings, or hot coals falling from chimneys.

The material should be more durable. Thinner, because its not coated in vinyl (which will dry rot, and become brittle in extreme temperatures)
It's breathable, while resisting water.

If I were rich, and not lazy, I'd probably put the new covers on all of my grills.

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 06:01:39 PM »
I just picked up a new cover for my 72.  I like the material better.  it does have a longer warranty so time will tell.  My grills are outside 24/7 now so it will be exposed to everything Wisconsin has to offer.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold