Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Buoys will be buoys  (Read 1368 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Buoys will be buoys
« on: February 05, 2015, 05:56:45 AM »
We talk all the time about the original kettle being made from a navigation buoy at Weber Brothers Metal Works in Chicago, but have we ever seen the buoy? Here's one I found that may be close to the one Buoy George used for the first ever Mod Month entry:

I'd like to see if anyone has any more info or pics from those days that describe the buoys they made. Keep your eyes peeled, and let's hear it for the buoys!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Buoys will be buoys
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 07:15:48 AM »
Here are some pics of a buoy that a guy in Western Washington made into a grill/smoker and mounted it on a trailer.

This was at a Pacific Northwest BBQ Association (PNWBA) Pitmaster BBQ Class and CBJ Class at Kent, WA in 2011

I thought it was pretty cool! The grate revolves for direct and indirect cooking.

Bigger than a Ranch Kettle!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Buoys will be buoys
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 01:28:42 PM »
nice!!

I had researched the buoys years ago and found several made by weber bros. I didn't find any round ones, but I had found a giant yellow one with a small tower like thing on it. It was in a nautical item auction in chicago and it sold for 2000+ :(