Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sometimes you just feel like you are stealing.......  (Read 10125 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: Sometimes you just feel like you are stealing.......
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 06:38:08 AM »
LB - only you can decide on the right course of action.  None of our options matter.  But I will give you mine anyway  :) 

At one time I had the opportunity to purchase a Wood Dale Westerner off CL for $55 while on eBay an auction for the same grill was at $2,000.  One could argue that "morally" I should have informed the buyer that the grill was worth far more than they were asking, but I don't believe that was my duty.  The seller or retailer is responsible for setting the price they want to sell an item for.  If they are ignorant to market value, or have made a mistake in pricing the item, it is not your responsibility as a buyer to correct them.  If it was, we would all have to stop buying "great deals" on craigslist.

Unfortunately, someone else decided to let the seller know about the Ebay auction so my price went up CONSIDERABLY.  But thats another story.

You made a good buy in my book!  And informing them of their mistake is extra Karma points.

Winz
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:40:08 AM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 07:08:29 AM »
good on you!

hopefully whoever mis-tagged it keeps their job and learns from it.

you def earn some good karma from it too. 

@LightningBoldtz

also i'd just pay them the difference, no sense in bringing back a perfectly good MT.   ;)
I only use kettles with lid bales.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 07:42:32 AM »
@LightningBoldtz

I wouldn't loose sleep over it, it is not your fail they mislabeled it. Here is what you should have walked out with.
https://shop.alsacehardware.com/inet/storefront/store.php?mode=showproductdetail&product=-1&link_id=-1&link_itemcode=8266827&category=&department=88&class=868&fineline=086802

I'm not going to chime in with an opinion on the moral question, however I will say the no one should walk out with one of those!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 07:55:22 AM »
@LightningBoldtz

I wouldn't loose sleep over it, it is not your fail they mislabeled it. Here is what you should have walked out with.
https://shop.alsacehardware.com/inet/storefront/store.php?mode=showproductdetail&product=-1&link_id=-1&link_itemcode=8266827&category=&department=88&class=868&fineline=086802

I'm not going to chime in with an opinion on the moral question, however I will say the no one should walk out with one of those!

Agreed
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 08:46:41 AM »
Wow that is awesome.  I would of bought it just on price alone and I don't even need it.  Really like your blue MT as well.  Need to look for one of those sometime.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 09:36:05 AM »
I do care about my reputation here on the board so I would like to get your opinion, and I know it will vary from person to person.  I knew it was a good deal, I was excited at the thought of snagging the new Master-touch so I went with it. 

@GregS I certainly hope you don't think less of me.  I probably will let the person know that he might want to check the price of the kettle, and BTW if he came back to me as said that is the price, I may go back and by his stock out.

"I do care about my reputation here on the board"

That's pretty much beyond reproach as far as I've heard.........

If you happen to get in the way of a good turn by way of a simple mistake, the cosmic, overreaching reason for it probably has something to do with the fact that you've helped a bunch of people here & beyond in all kinds of ways leading up to this..........I'm so horribly honest that I get nailed to the wall frequently by way of it, so if I were you, I'd just sit still & take it in the shorts this time............ 8)

You can't know, also, absolutely that a floor model might be knocked down quite a bit in the first place.... ;)

Keep the Deal....... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

TeddyC

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 10:43:09 AM »
What's with this moral stuff?  He, as a consumer went to a store and purchased a product.  That's the end of it.  It's not like he switched labels or did anything illegal.  The store listed the product and he purchased it.  What's unethical about that?  Let's not start judging people because they got a good deal, based on a corporate mistake.  He wasn't obligated to tell the sales person that there may be an error.  What if they were actually selling it for the listed price.  But, since there was a listed price, he did nothing wrong.

Hi, my name is Ted & I'm a smoke-aholic.
My Weapons:  Weber Smokey Mountain (Flo);
Weber Master touch 2015 (Lou Lou);

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 11:18:07 AM »
I am missing something here??? @LightningBoldtz was the grill  wrongly tagged? If you are just assuming it was you may be wrong. The price was not ridiculously low. They have a code of practice regarding scanning where I work. The price on the shelf IS the price. If it scans higher you get it for up to 10 bucks less than the price should have been. If mistakes were made the customer gets his deal and we fix it afterwards.

As far as your reputation goes....there ought to be no questions. What Buckie said about Karma and you having it coming back to you....you gotta know I fully agree.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 11:29:55 AM »
Dude, You're cool with me.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 11:50:03 AM »
Thanks for the comments, I am really just fishing for a little discussion here.  I knew it was a fantastic deal which is why I bought it and ran with it.  It was earlier noted that the item that I purchased should have been something else according to the sku.  With that knowledge I did do the store a solid and inform them.

Everyone is going to have different opinions and justifications as to what is morally right.  I did not do anything underhanded I did not switch tags or anything with something else.  I asked if I could have the product for the price it was set to.  I will sleep fine at night.

from a kettle stand point when they came out with the new Master-touch I had it on my bucket list for 2015. Mission accomplished
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

TeddyC

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 12:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the comments, I am really just fishing for a little discussion here.  I knew it was a fantastic deal which is why I bought it and ran with it.  It was earlier noted that the item that I purchased should have been something else according to the sku.  With that knowledge I did do the store a solid and inform them.

Everyone is going to have different opinions and justifications as to what is morally right.  I did not do anything underhanded I did not switch tags or anything with something else.  I asked if I could have the product for the price it was set to.  I will sleep fine at night.

from a kettle stand point when they came out with the new Master-touch I had it on my bucket list for 2015. Mission accomplished

lol.  If  you don't want it, heck, I'll give you $89.00 and will buy it from you. lol
Hi, my name is Ted & I'm a smoke-aholic.
My Weapons:  Weber Smokey Mountain (Flo);
Weber Master touch 2015 (Lou Lou);

hogsfan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 03:46:20 PM »
I want to know what "black 22.5 inch kettle" they were TRYING to sell for $79.99?!? That's a good deal on a simple OTS!

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 03:56:16 PM »
guys guys guys
look at the receipt, it says Weber kettle black 22.5
no silver, no masters touch, no serial number, nothin else
now look at the price, 79.99, that is what 18.5 kettles sell for
22.5 sell for 99.99 plus tax
He got a great deal no mater what you claim, the store either was holding a sale on 22.5 kettles or 22.5 master touches.
OK so he decides not to chance it and take the floor sample, (by the way were all the goodies in there?)
and some guys are looking at him strange?
Look at it this way, that same company would sell that thing for 299.99 if they could.
GO try and buy a car and see how much you have to shop around to get a good deal. Businesses will tell you they are not in business to lose money, but this is a computerized world and that thing said 79.99 for a 22.5 weber kettle, black.
He bought it.
If you go into a store and they give you back 2 dollars extra change, and you notice it when you get home, do you drive back and give them the 2 dollars?
He scored, not only that he scored on the tax, 4,80 on 80 bucks, that is like 6%, I pay 8.75 out here
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 04:05:02 PM »
"If you go into a store and they give you back 2 dollars extra change, and you notice it when you get home, do you drive back and give them the 2 dollars?"

Sometimes.......... 8)

I have a place I've shopped for years that has a full line of Weber stuff....spread across two buildings & some real high end stuff in the second building....no discounts ever, except season's end closeout floor models....

At 1st read, I'm thinking the price was mostly because of it being the floor model....could be as simple as that.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »

I have a place I've shopped for years that has a full line of Weber stuff....spread across two buildings & some real high end stuff in the second building....no discounts ever, except season's end closeout floor models....

At 1st read, I'm thinking the price was mostly because of it being the floor model....could be as simple as that.....

still, 79.99 is the 18.5 price, no mater what, it was discounted for some reason did it have the baskets and the warming shelf in it?
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline