Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Ash Pan  (Read 8469 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: First Ash Pan
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 01:41:48 PM »
I'm older than most of us here, and I can't remember the last time my memory failed.  8)

I would take this guy at face value. If better proof comes along that discounts his recollection we can take it from there, but I for one am not in favor of immediately casting doubt on these sources from the word go. They don't come along very often, and we're lucky to tap their memories when we can. I'm not saying everything he says is indisputable fact, just that we have no good reason NOT to believe him. I'll bet good money that Weber Stephen itself would be hard pressed to establish many comprehensive facts about the early days - other than the scarce verbal histories they've managed to record along the way.

All we need to do is document the conversations we manage to have with guys like HK, and enjoy the mystery that surrounds our hobby like many other hobbyists do. Lets not get all academic about the workings of the human brain - after all, when I founded the WKC in my Pennsylvania garage back in 2010, I was careful not to include too much salt in my diet.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »
All the research work is greatly appreciated, guys! It does seem to be impossible to pin down exact-ish dates.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 02:10:47 PM »
I'm older than most of us here, and I can't remember the last time my memory failed.  8)

I would take this guy at face value. If better proof comes along that discounts his recollection we can take it from there, but I for one am not in favor of immediately casting doubt on these sources from the word go. They don't come along very often, and we're lucky to tap their memories when we can. I'm not saying everything he says is indisputable fact, just that we have no good reason NOT to believe him. I'll bet good money that Weber Stephen itself would be hard pressed to establish many comprehensive facts about the early days - other than the scarce verbal histories they've managed to record along the way.

All we need to do is document the conversations we manage to have with guys like HK, and enjoy the mystery that surrounds our hobby like many other hobbyists do. Lets not get all academic about the workings of the human brain - after all, when I founded the WKC in my Pennsylvania garage back in 2010, I was careful not to include too much salt in my diet.

I love that memory joke! My dad used to say that :P

Regarding the reasons - we actually DO have some reasons.
If I understand correctly, one of the oldest grills we know about (or at least, a grill we believe to be the oldest) has a pan that is suddenly newer than many other grills.

Craig or Zavod might be able to elaborate a bit, at least I hope so because I'm mostly clueless at this point :P

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 02:11:22 PM »
and for what its worth - it doesn't matter who is right or who is wrong.

it only matters that we get the correct data :)

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 02:34:07 PM »
Yeah, memory is the second thing to go. I can't remember what the first was.

::)

There's just something about those pans...

Dude, relax your chicken.

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 04:43:10 PM »

Well said

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 05:07:29 PM »
Marty and everyone else...

We are not immediately casting doubt on the source just because it's a 60yr old recollection. There ARE other pieces of information that conflict with what Ida was told.
At this point we simply don't know what is right or wrong.  Any 'doubt' that's being cast is simply to prevent this data from being assumed as factual.
This has happened before with the vent words and layouts :)

These conversations with sources involved with Weber are highly respected and, to be honest, fucking awesome. You and Ida are "THE MAN"s for having the ambition and commitment to make these conversations happen.

Our historical research IS academic. Some of us are in constant contact regarding data and digging. This has been going on for more than 2 years and we're all pretty damned proud of what we have. (It'll be up on the site by Spring)
We take it very seriously - it's a passion.
We're striving for quality and accuracy.

Craig

• WKC Mod
First Ash Pan
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »
My continuing mission. To explore strange new grills. To seek out new pans and new information. To BOLDY go where no Grillfella has gone before....

What goes on in my head when new info comes up...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 06:40:20 PM by Craig »

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 06:58:35 PM »
    It's not hard to find the answer to this question, just contact Marty and ask him to ask his source from the Drawing company weber used what year they starting drawing the ash pans ? It's likely they used the same company for the bowls and lids along with the ash pans.
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 08:04:44 PM »
This has been long running labor of love for me. Dating back to our foster site. The challenge of finding the answers has been part of the fun since hardly anything pre 1979 has been black and white but rather 50 shades of grey (ok pun intended) ;D

As Troy said we will be relaunching the age guide next month. As always the age guide it will be noted as a work in progress. This thread contributes to that work in progress. We will be adding bullet points from the info presented. 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 08:09:31 PM »
My continuing mission. To explore strange new grills. To seek out new pans and new information. To BOLDY go where no Grillfella has gone before....

What goes on in my head when new info comes up...

"POST OF THE MONTH"

.....and it's still early in the month !!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 06:13:18 AM »
@dazzo

Yes regardless of what's being said , I feel that the folded ash pans were the first style, I researched this project for about 4 months and already had a theory that the simpler design made the most sense . I believe that they used the folded design and then integrated the new style pan into the mix as soon as the move to Wood Dale became evident. George was going out on his own everything would have needed to be streamlined . I was told that when George left for Wood Dale he only took a couple lathes with him, therefore he would have needed to be supplied from an outside source for the ash pans along with everything else. I also believe that if in 1956 they had already set up and produced the drawn pan that they would have used it and not continued with the hand made folded style for 3-4 more years.
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 06:29:47 AM »
Someone on here earlier posted the patent schematics for the rounded off triangle pans. I can't find it at the moment but it had a date on it..

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 06:34:41 AM »
Someone on here earlier posted the patent schematics for the rounded off triangle pans. I can't find it at the moment but it had a date on it..

@Craig
@dazzo  Dazzo did.  May not be related as the date was November 1963

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/if-there-all-1956s-models-then/msg137854/#msg137854

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 06:36:32 AM »
Thanks Harris and Dazzo. Here it is for this threads purposes...