Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Swapping out the new heat shield/handle assembly for an old style handle  (Read 5538 times)

SixZeroFour

Hi All,

I just posted up an article on a way to convert your new shielded handle to an old strap style. For those that are interested you can access it from the WKC Homepage or by clicking HERE!

Here's a teaser rocking a zavod of course!  8)

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Swapping out the new heat shield/handle assembly for an old style handle
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:43:40 PM »
Great MOD and write up! I've been thinking about this and was figuring the Fireplace handle would make a suitable substitute. Hopefully they continue to make those Fire Place straps. In all honesty, I have had success with normal spray paint coated over high heat black (for colored grills). My 26 Chief lid handle is a riveted on replacement and the strap is painted Ace brand Terra Cotta and holds up to the heat nicely.

@SixZeroFour

Is that your new Master Touch sporting the old strap?

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 04:28:54 AM »
I recently ordered some of the fireplace handle and bracket assemblies from ereplacements and although the bracket appears identical to the older style Ranch handle brackets I got directly from Weber, the wood fireplace handles have an orangish brown tint. I was told the wood was possibly bamboo. In any case ithey are nowhere near the quality of Brian's handles.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 05:29:20 AM »
Impressive!

I hope to do this with the Ivory I pick up in the Spring …  ;D ;) ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 07:48:35 AM »
Is that your new Master Touch sporting the old strap?

It is indeed! 8)

I recently ordered some of the fireplace handle and bracket assemblies from ereplacements and although the bracket appears identical to the older style Ranch handle brackets I got directly from Weber, the wood fireplace handles have an orangish brown tint. I was told the wood was possibly bamboo. In any case ithey are nowhere near the quality of Brian's handles.

Thanks again for the bracket Terry! Nothing can replace a finely crafted zavod but I love having examples of different stock weber handles as well. There are quite a few out there!

Bwahaha - plan on stealing the other Ivory out of the Vaughan Grill Academy ;) ... There is a second one there you know!

By no means do I have confirmation of this but would not be surprised if we see the trio of Ivory, Slate and Spring Green at least make an appearance up our way as "limited edition" models.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 07:57:10 AM »

By no means do I have confirmation of this but would not be surprised if we see the trio of Ivory, Slate and Spring Green at least make an appearance up our way as "limited edition" models.

If that is the case, please keep us Canuckleheads posted regarding this …  :D :D

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 11:15:45 AM »
Hey Matt (@SixZeroFour).

What does the bowl handle look like (sans wood) on the new M/Ts?  Does it have the tabs, or does it look like this?

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 11:20:20 AM »
No tabs on the MT, it's flush like above. I just tighten the handle snug and don't seem to have any issues. :)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 11:36:57 AM »
No tabs on the MT, it's flush like above. I just tighten the handle snug and don't seem to have any issues. :)

I did THIS to remedy that.  I didn't want the handle to potentially spin and damage the wood.  :D

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 05:13:58 PM »
The only thing to watch out for especially on the bowl handles is "propellering" of the wooden handles. Especially if your cover catches on it. Otherwise, @MacEggs ' method would be an ideal MOD to prevent this.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 09:49:04 AM »

Well Terry, you're absolutely right! These are nowhere near Zavod quality :)

Definitely bamboo, and definitely orangish! These were ordered for the metal straps alone so the handles were a bonus. I actually like oddball stuff like this so they will join the rest of my quickly growing handle collection.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 01:22:18 PM »
Do you have a lot of "swapping" to do?? … i.e. all the colours that will be available in a few months.  ;D ;) ;)

Thanks for posting this, Matt.  Do you have an ereplacement link to that part?  Thanks.  :) :)

SixZeroFour

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 01:57:40 PM »
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/handle-fireplace-p-1475698.html (Each kit includes 2 handle assemblies)

I'm simply preparing for a weber handle apocalypse ;D ... a grillfella can never be too prepared. I will store them next to my stash of 7409's ;D

i.e. all the colours that will be available in a few months.  ;D ;) ;)

I'd bite on a Grass Green one if they ever show up :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 02:03:41 PM by SixZeroFour »

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 01:06:28 PM »
Those are the handles that I have on the middle section of my 18" WSM.  Didn't care for the Garage door handles. 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 01:18:32 PM »
I'm curious to see if mine show up with wood handles? I placed an order with Weber yesterday.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:26:09 PM by JDD »
May The Smoke Be With You!