Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Find one of these !  (Read 4203 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Find one of these !
« on: December 29, 2014, 09:06:32 AM »
Check out the cool lamps and the roti

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: Find one of these !
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 10:23:54 AM »
Judging by that roti they use to cook with the lid off and the height was adjustable
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 08:24:14 PM »
Whoa!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 10:03:18 PM »
I love this photo! It looks as though those early flat top kettles had a matte finish? Those 22's had only one bowl vent back then.

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 03:59:10 AM »
@Hogsy @Craig

Different style roti with the lid on.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Find one of these !
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 05:49:21 AM »
@Hogsy @Craig

Different style roti with the lid on.

I've seen both of these pics before. This photo is from at least 1955. There is a Smokey Joe in the corner (introduced in '55) I wonder if the first pic is from '53-'54?  George probably wasn't digging the idea of a spit without the lid. So they probably came up with the ring idea very early on.

Notice the 22 with the roti ring has what looks like a very early side table and the Weber Bros chef hat logo on the lid.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:52:06 AM by Craig »

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Find one of these !
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 06:07:37 AM »
^^^^^^This is a trade show photo and my best guess for date is 1956 based on the Weber Bros Logo and this photo below

George is wearing the same suit in both photos so I'm guessing same day , same show, the grill in the background is thought to be 55-56 ?  That giant backdrop George is standing in front of could not be cheap , this was a special event or show . I also wonder if the backdrop is the cover to the first Catalog , any thoughts @ craig

I'm also thinking that's Georges father in the first photo.but that's another story .

I'm in the process of interviewing an employee of the Weber Bros Metal Works , he was a demo cook and knew George.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 06:28:19 AM »
Has anyone ever located one of those old flat top 22's? They look awesome!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Idahawk

• WKC Performer

SixZeroFour

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 07:38:24 AM »
Damn - who's is that? and how I've never seen that image before I have no idea... :)

Very cool.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »
^^^^^^This is a trade show photo and my best guess for date is 1956 based on the Weber Bros Logo and this photo below

George is wearing the same suit in both photos so I'm guessing same day , same show, the grill in the background is thought to be 55-56 ?  That giant backdrop George is standing in front of could not be cheap , this was a special event or show . I also wonder if the backdrop is the cover to the first Catalog , any thoughts @ craig

I'm also thinking that's Georges father in the first photo.but that's another story .

I'm in the process of interviewing an employee of the Weber Bros Metal Works , he was a demo cook and knew George.

I doubt it's the same day. The Weber Bros typography is way different in both pics.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 07:31:54 AM »
Has anyone ever located one of those old flat top 22's? They look awesome!
we had one when we were kids.

we used the lid as a shied for sword fights.

no that's all bullshit but it's pretty funny to think about.
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Find one of these !
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 07:43:10 AM »

The kettle that is in the picture is three straight legs only. No wheels yet. This could be 1953.

Remember they added wheels, then added the axle not long after. This all happened before the 1956 redesign ('56 changes are: dome lid. three daisy vents. utility shelf)

OR

This pic could be from 1956 and they didn't spend the money to picture the new design? It took Weber a couple of years into the 90s to update the kettle silhouette from a twist ash pan to a full disc. Those changed in 1986.

Sent from my iOS via Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 07:47:55 AM by Craig »

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 06:21:57 PM »
@604 A 1956 was one many guests of honor's at the meet up at my house back in August.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/meetups-events/2nd-annual-wkc-chicago-meet-up/120/
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X