Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: THE DANGER OF FEEDING DOGS TURKEY  (Read 1833 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: THE DANGER OF FEEDING DOGS TURKEY
« on: November 24, 2014, 07:05:09 AM »
DISCLAIMER 1:This might be off topic and will not apply to many people but i learned the hard way so i am sharing.
DISCLAIMER 2: If you think your dog...or cat, or anything living is sick, seek appropriate professional medical attention

BBQ and mans best friend seem to just seem to go together. Look how many photos have a dog sitting patiently waiting for a taste of what ever is coming off the cooker. Slow and low with a cold one in hand and dog by your side is life at its finest.

Since many of us will be doing turkeys this week i feel compelled to share a word or caution i learned the hard way:

SOME dogs can be highly allergic to turkey. I know many of you feed turkey to your dog, i gave to my old lab mix and she didn't skip a beat, so i didn't think twice about giving my bulldog a little turkey on a recent thanksgiving and we ended up spending the night at the ER Vet.

In 2011, He was an energetic 7 month old puppy with a house full of relatives: he was going nuts all day. We gave him a little turkey with his dry food to keep him from begging at the table during our dinner.

Not long after he was passed out alone on the couch, which was kind off odd for him back then because he was a puppy who would usually only conk out with us laying with him. We chalked it up to exhaustion from the big busy day and house full of people and didn't think much of it.

Around midnight he threw up, we chalked it up to, possible over eating, maybe some chips or other junk food he got at when no one was looking. Again we still weren't worried.

Then He then threw up 2 more times and g within an hour he was weak and shaking. Clearly he in some distress.

We called the 24 vet our vet refers and they asked if he had turkey? We said yes, they said turkey can be POISONOUS to some dogs and to rush him in. I couldn't be believe it. I had never heard this before and i gave turkey to my old dog, but when we got there there was 13 dogs in the clinic that all came in for the same thing: dogs sick from turkey.  While i was sitting in the waiting room, I checked online but found very mixed feedback about if turkey was dangerous for dogs, but in the 20 minutes i sat in the waiting room the phone was ringing off the hook with people  all calling for the same thing.

Still to this day you get mixed opinions on it when you research online, but this is what we got from our vet:
Turkey can cause Pancreatitis: A life-threatening inflammation of the pancreas.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Love-Your-Pets-Just-Dont-Feed-Them-Turkey-107946584.html

Like i said, many dogs have no issue with it but there was over a dozen at this vet that night who did.
The vet gave an antacid (pepcid) and IV fluids to combat dehydration from vomitting. He was OK after that.

Anytime our dog is sick to his stomach these are the first steps we go to. A $6 trip to 7-11 beats a $300 trip to the vet as a first step

IMO if you aren't sure if your dog has a turkey issue steer clear of the left overs. In our house we make sure any holiday guests know: nothing off the table goes to the dog. Anything with onions is dangerous as well.A pet health scare and a $350 emergency vet bill is a lousy way to kick start the holidays.

Safe and happy holidays to all.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: THE DANGER OF FEEDING DOGS TURKEY
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 11:23:40 AM »
Thanks, Charlie.....watch out for the pups getting bones, also......raw is not actually so bad for most dogs, but cooked poultry bones get softer & splinter & can really be dangerous, choking & also poking their innards......

Same thing with ham bones.......slow smoked for some flavor for a time is OK, but cooked hard & thoroughly is not a good idea...... 

Lamb may be OK too, but like you say, check in about the breed, or to play it safe, not at all.....

This was from awhile back:

Minor update......somebody got a lamb bone out of the deal & she's not letting go of it !!!

I threw it on the smoker kettle after the "turds.......

But just smoke for a fairly short time, not completely cooked thru 'till soft.....
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:27:47 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"