Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cook N' Kettle refurb  (Read 4307 times)

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
Cook N' Kettle refurb
« on: August 13, 2014, 04:11:11 PM »
Picked this up after returning from Tucson this spring. The seller had owned it for many years. He bought it from his friend, the original owner, who used it to roast chickens for his small restaurant in northern Minnesota. It cleaned up real well using electrolysis to 'de-rust' all the cast iron parts. Then I rubbed it down with Crisco. Now I'm looking for a cart of some sort to mount it in. Anyone have a Cook N' Kettle cart they might part with?

Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cook N' Kettle refurb
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 05:09:37 PM »
Amazing clean up Dale, I read about this method as I have a flat bottom DO that needs to be deep cleaned.
After seeing the results you got I will have to try it, I got the Dutch Oven for free so stripping all of the previous
seasoning off and starting over looks like the best course of action as there are some orange rust spots on the
bottom inside surface.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »
Looks great Dale! Awesome save and refurb.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 06:05:11 PM »
Great clean-up!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:08:23 PM »
That sounds like a lot of work but you certainly reaped the reward.  Well done. 

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 08:09:42 PM »
Exquisite work Dale!! That's a fine piece of grilling history you've got there!  :D

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 09:43:45 PM »
Looking great! Are you thinking of making a cart? Is that top picture before or after electrolysis?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 10:48:58 PM »
Awesome!

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 04:07:13 AM »
... Are you thinking of making a cart? Is that top picture before or after electrolysis?

I'm not up to the task of making a cart but I am keeping a watchful eye on eBay and CL for the opportunity to buy one. The carts were sold as an accessory so maybe someone who has a kettle with a cart will be open to selling just the cart.

Yes, the first photo was taken prior to cleaning. I took additional post-cleanup photos but have been having problems uploading with this post.
Dale

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 04:25:57 AM »
... so stripping all of the previous
seasoning off and starting over looks like the best course of action as there are some orange rust spots on the bottom inside surface.

This process is so simple and so effective that you will simply be blown away. I am not exaggerating at all. It was a challenge for me in this case because of the large size of the pieces to be treated. The plastic storage tub that I used was not big enough to completely immerse the pieces so I had to turn each one multiple times until everything was clean. But if you start out with a container that is large enough to completely submerge the piece(s) being treated then it's much easier and quicker. Since I had everything set up for this project I decided to also do a few cast iron skillets before discarding the solution after the C'NK cleanup. These turned out beautiful, too. Then after a couple of bakes with Crisco in an oven for seasoning they looked almost like brand new pans. Simply amazing. 
Dale

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 04:28:42 AM »
Looks great Dale!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 06:46:21 AM »
Amazing difference isn't it? Looks great!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 09:49:58 PM »
This process is so simple and so effective that you will simply be blown away. I am not exaggerating at all.

Everything I have read about it, pretty much echos that statement Dale. I just need to get caught up on all the other
"need to do" list items that I put off over the first part of the summer, then I might have time for "my" projects..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Paul Isa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 10:04:43 PM »
Neat kettle. I know nothing about them. Can you send some inside pics? Do you place it in a fire pit? Charcoal on the inside? Like I said, I know nothing about them.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 12:05:12 AM »
Brilliant Dale!!!
That looks like a really cool piece to be cooking on
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution