Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The end of an era.... no more welded handles on Weber Kettles. (Photos)  (Read 29513 times)

SixZeroFour

I purchased a Copper OTG a month or so ago that arrived damaged. Weber was quick to offer to fix the problem as they always do - but today when I opened the box something didn't look right. Notice anything?

I called them back and they confirmed the design will be changing and that I have to wait another 30 days for the hardware to arrive. The euro market must have been the test run and they are now rolling out in the US...

Sad day in my mind. I love the welded handles :'( But hey maybe this means some badass colors are on the way too!?!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 03:52:03 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Jeff

• WKC Performer
I'm disappointed. 
How many people are going to over torque the nuts and bolts and chip their porcelain?  I hope that doesn't happen.

I wonder how the deleted welding process affects the assembly line and machines needed, or not needed now to weld the handles on.   What about the handles on the bowls?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

SixZeroFour

The euro models appear to still have welded bowl handles but who knows... The replacement bowl section will arrive tomorrow I'm guessing so I'll take a close look.

Troy

• Statesman
Sad.

I think that would drive me nuts. Any wobble in the handle is a big turn off for me (not sure why)

harris92

• WKC Performer
It looks cheap.

G

• WKC Ranger
Any wobble in the handle is a big turn off for me (not sure why)
Same here....

I dont care for the Euro style handle.  The 26 OTGs have had this style for some time.  I have one with this handle style and will admit that the handle is solid and holding up quite well but I did add some larger SS washers underneath.  Im guessing Weber figures its easier (and cheaper) to replace a handle than a whole lid in the event of damage.

G$

• WKC Performer
I am loooooong on the record against these.  Weber won't be selling me a new kettle going forward.  Sad.

Troy

• Statesman
whoa, also - the vent is back to the long side of the handle as well!!

SixZeroFour

whoa, also - the vent is back to the long side of the handle as well!!

Good eye... I was too focused on the lack of a handle to notice the vent positioning.

Troy

• Statesman
flip that lid over and show us where the hook is PLEEEEAAASE.

(also, hope you don't mind, i swiped your image and posted a frontpage update)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
I agree that the look of the welded handles is better. The RK has the bolted on ones, and they work well for the heavy lid.

SixZeroFour

(also, hope you don't mind, i swiped your image and posted a frontpage update)

Cease and desist letter for copyright infringement on the way via pm.  ;) ;)

salad

• WKC Ranger
No bueno, man.  No bueno.  For some reason, the euro grills didn't bother me but now....yeah, not happy.
I may have to pull the trigger on a new kettle now just to set aside. 
WTB 18 fruit

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
I'm still pissed they switched to wood, I'll never buy a Weber without a metal top handle, that wood will rot and look like shit in 20 years.  Not mention they are using rivets to hold them on how will I replace it?   Metal is so sturdy, wood is cheap...It's all gone down hill ever since they moved out of Wood Dale.   (This is the argument you guys would be having if this was 1963)  Everyone cries that they want euro colors, what do you think those grills would look like if you got one?  Can everyone just calm down...geeze

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

harris92

• WKC Performer
I'm still pissed they switched to wood, I'll never buy a Weber without a metal top handle, that wood will rot and look like shit in 20 years.  Not mention they are using rivets to hold them on how will I replace it?   Metal is so sturdy, wood is cheap...It's all gone down hill ever since they moved out of Wood Dale.   (This is the argument you guys would be having if this was 1963)  Everyone cries that they want euro colors, what do you think those grills would look like if you got one?  Can everyone just calm down...geeze

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sounds like something Agent X would say.....