Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The end of an era.... no more welded handles on Weber Kettles. (Photos)  (Read 29508 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
No bueno, man.  No bueno.  For some reason, the euro grills didn't bother me but now....yeah, not happy.
I may have to pull the trigger on a new kettle now just to set aside.

Look at it this way...   If "non welded" lid handles are now the norm.  All of out current kettles just got the "vintage bump".    Everything we own is now special because its 'pre-bolt-on'.

LOL!   ;D
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: The end of an era.... no more welded handles on Weber Kettles. (Photos)
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 05:09:49 PM »
This opens up a whole new world to customized handles.  All that is needed is the right diameter and spacing for attachment - the rest is only limited to imagination.  I like it!

604 - if you are interested in a trade for a copper, welded handle that is less than a year old (the one on the left below), PM me.

Winz

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Craig

• WKC Mod
The end of an era.... no more welded handles on Weber Kettles. (Photos)
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 05:20:07 PM »
I'm still pissed they switched to wood, I'll never buy a Weber without a metal top handle, that wood will rot and look like shit in 20 years.  Not mention they are using rivets to hold them on how will I replace it?   Metal is so sturdy, wood is cheap...It's all gone down hill ever since they moved out of Wood Dale.   (This is the argument you guys would be having if this was 1963)  Everyone cries that they want euro colors, what do you think those grills would look like if you got one?  Can everyone just calm down...geeze

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
To hell with wood handles, putting a wooden handle on there would be for candy asses afraid of a little heat. If they ever do that, I'm out! Im still pissed off they switched to the high domed lid and added that pansy ash plate thingy! My ash falls right to to the bottom triangle shaped ash tray and holds my cigarette butts and my spatula and that's the way I like it!! I don't need THREE vents down there! One is all I need!! I get great temperature control with the flat lid. Sure I cant cook a turkey on it like my neighbor could with his new fangled high domed bosom colored Wood Dale cooker, but that's what the oven is for! Besides I make a mean hamburger on my Chicago made black flat top and mines got swell red wheels too! What the hell is up with those new fat black whitewalls anyway? They tryin to copy the Edsel!?

-Said an annoyed Weber kettle owner in 1958. Who found out later that Wooden insulators, "Yellow Ochre" finish and The Beatles would be too much for him to bear.

All kidding aside, im not a fan of this, but we saw it coming. We all did. So i'm not surprised but still a little bummed. Im more worried about them changing the wheels to 6" versions of the ones seen on the modern 26"ers. Silly but I like the 1977-present wheels better than the cheep looking ones on thr 26/Performer/Ranch kettled today. Back to the handles, bright side is, a wood handle will still fit these. Why the return to pre 1963 handle orientation with post 1963 hook position is another mystery. I can see why they reorientated the metal handles and hook way back then. Its more user friendly. Again On the bright side, wood handles will still fit these brackets so all is not lost. :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:18:57 AM by Craig »

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 05:24:26 PM »
Maybe we should be happy they still come with handles...bolt on or welded. It'll save them a whole bunch of money. No more dented in handles on lids. As long as I can remove the lid without burning the shit outta my hand I don't care.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2014, 05:26:46 PM »

i'm sure going to miss all those kettles with the porcelain chips around the handles.......just not gonna be like the good ol' days........................
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2014, 05:40:13 PM »
This opens up a whole new world to customized handles.  All that is needed is the right diameter and spacing for attachment - the rest is only limited to imagination.  I like it!

that is a FANTASTIC point. let the customs and mods BEGIN!!!!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2014, 05:41:07 PM »
I don't have the grill, how can I begin?

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2014, 05:41:57 PM »
I thought the zavdles fit the new bracket/heat shield handle assembly?

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2014, 05:42:18 PM »
They do....

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2014, 05:44:53 PM »
Ok, then what am I missing? ;D

Edit: I figured it out. I could make a custom MLH OTG..... Hmmmmmmm...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:00:48 PM by Craig »

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2014, 06:24:40 PM »
The more I ponder this whole situation, the more I wonder if this handle-switch isn't more about the costs associated with shipping a skinnier lid (no handle attached) as well as damaged handles (during shipping) than it is about producing a cheaper product.

I'm not saying I like it, but I can see where it is "smarter" on Weber's end...   ::)
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2014, 06:27:28 PM »
It also makes more sense from a business standpoint.  Consistency across the board.  But will we see a "taller" euro style 22s and 18s with 8" wheels in the near future here in the U.S.?

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2014, 06:29:11 PM »

i'm sure going to miss all those kettles with the porcelain chips around the handles.......just not gonna be like the good ol' days........................

I bet you see them even more!  All the tough guy torque monsters crankin' down on that handles nut and bolt...ahhh, just one more turn should do it, CRACK goes the porcelain!  Probably the same people installing legs all caddywampus and making pucker butt JJ's.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2014, 06:29:59 PM »
The only good I can see of this nice custom aftermarket metal brackets and stainless hardware.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

SixZeroFour

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2014, 06:30:35 PM »
The more I ponder this whole situation, the more I wonder if this handle-switch isn't more about the costs associated with shipping a skinnier lid (no handle attached) as well as damaged handles (during shipping) than it is about producing a cheaper product.

I'm not saying I like it, but I can see where it is "smarter" on Weber's end...   ::)

I think your bang-on Art - ease of shipping and less chance of damage in transit.

Winz: Let me think about the trade offer a bit... I'm not sure what I want to do just yet... Thanks either way!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E