Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What to do with probe thermometer cables  (Read 15703 times)

Chuck

• WKC Brave
What to do with probe thermometer cables
« on: July 22, 2014, 06:52:05 PM »
Up until now, I've always used less expensive thermometers. I've not worried about replacing the probes when they go bad as it was an inexpensive and to be honest rare thing to do. But today, like others here, I jumped on the deal for the Maverick ET-733 http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/maverick-et-733-sale-on-amazon/msg116651/#msg116651 posted earlier today.

After doing some reading, it seems that a lot of people don't simply run the probe cables between the rim and lid so as not to pinch the cable apparently. They drill out a grommet hole or go in through the vent holes. Going in through the vent holes seems like it would be a pain, in particular with the standard 3' cables. I can drill out the grommet hole easily enough if that's the best solution (any good tips on that if recommended?).

Is pinching the probe cable really a bad thing?

Thanks for the advice and tips.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

Troy

• Statesman
Re: What to do with probe thermometer cables
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:49:05 PM »
Yes. Don't pinch. Don't fold. Don't crimp. And don't submerge in water.

I prefer grommet, but will run through the vent on my 26. I also bought the longer probe cables.

I wonder if an extension would work...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:10:34 PM »
I drilled my WSM without a second thought, but could never drill a kettle.  I've had some good success lately just draping the probe down through the top vent. 
One of the charcoal people.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:17:37 PM »

I've seen where people wrap in foil as a buffer right where it goes across the lip.........

Just any old extensions are tricky, as thermocouples are set up in proportion to the length & type of wire in the cable......some kind of inductive capacitance hooey or something..............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:03:43 PM »

I've seen where people wrap in foil as a buffer right where it goes across the lip.........

Just any old extensions are tricky, as thermocouples are set up in proportion to the length & type of wire in the cable......some kind of inductive capacitance hooey or something..............

oooh, good point.
I think the maverick uses thermistors, but I guess an extension cable would still throw things off in the resistance department.

Probably best just to buy the longer probes :\

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 04:48:04 AM »
I smoked a but on my kettle and ran the probes through the vent only to find it annoying. For no more than a couple bucks, I decided to drill out a hole to run the probes. I can fit several probes in the hole if they're inserted one at a time. I use a lamp nipple (hollow threaded rod) and some thin nuts. I still need to get an acorn type nut to cap the hole when grilling. Here are some photos: http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/jdefran/library/Weber%20Mod

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 04:57:04 AM »
One of the probes I have is armored.  Sometimes I'll use it under the lid.  Most of the time I run mine through the bottom vent.  I can't bring myself to drill a hole in the kettle.  I've thought about it, and at one point found a .750" silicone grommet that self-sealed when not in use.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 05:05:44 AM »
Chuck - what kind of kettle are you working with?

For my SS Performer, I removed one of the bolts holding the gas assist and routed probes through there:

For my WSM(s), I always remove one of the support bracket bolts and use some hardware (plumbing isle at Ace) along with a lock collar:

I have not cracked the code on a regular OTS/OTG, but as long as the kettle is not vintage, would have no problem drilling a hole right below the charcoal grate for a grommet.  I would use the same hardware as I have on the WSM above.

Good luck,

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 05:34:46 AM »
That gives me an idea - I think I'll notch my old damaged lid for use with the probes.  The damaged section is right where I'd want the probe wires to come out.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 09:35:13 AM »
I added a probe grommet to my 26:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/i-added-a-probe-grommet-to-my-26/msg74552/#msg74552

For probably no good reason, I dont like the notches.  Through the vent is a pain.  Under the lid is russian roulette.  That left grommets.  On my WSMs I usually use guru grommets, but for the 26 I used a jack nut or nutsert so that I can screw in a bolt when I am not running a probe in it:

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 10:40:52 AM »
I've taken brass truck tire valve stems, drilled out the flange and ground them down and use them for probe eyelets on my 22" WSM's,  CB Conversion and Drum Smokers.

I'm not too squeamish about  drilling into my cookers to make them more user friendly.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 11:04:29 AM »
No drilling or mods for me. I've done numerous cooks on the WSM and kettle by simply running the probe cables between the bowl and lid. No issues with my Maverick at all. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 01:02:05 PM »
This is what Bman did to his WSM. I copied it and works great. I guess this could be applied to a kettle too.

A Wonderful Family!!!

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 02:27:14 PM »
This is what Bman did to his WSM. I copied it and works great. I guess this could be applied to a kettle too.
That's what I'm planning on doing, only to my damaged lid.  Any tips on cutting the notch?

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 02:47:05 PM »
That's what I'm planning on doing, only to my damaged lid.  Any tips on cutting the notch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouhn2aky0uc

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.