Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: It is an "E", it is Red... What is it?  (Read 4167 times)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
It is an "E", it is Red... What is it?
« on: July 11, 2014, 09:35:50 PM »
Let me say this, it has been a while. I have checked out by my choice, from a post a while back. I still have hard feelings on some stuff. As much as I want to call out, I will not. Just share some Weber history and my passion for this hobby.

Something popped up on CL late today. what was best, it was within blocks from work. It was posted 11 minutes when I responded. Things didn't look period correct. I sent a e-mail blast to our local WKC I was on it. Sent a picture to another WKC member. He thought it was the real deal, but was worried too.

I didn't get a reply and was getting messages from locals. I thought maybe I forgot to leave my number in my excitement. Sent an e-mail and left another phone message. Hence I thought I was doomed by the APP again. I actually had to stay late at work and no message after 1.5 hours. Make the drive 20+ mile ride home. I was thinking about my last purchase in this time. I get with 1/2 mile from home, voice message ding... I pass through three dead spots on my way home an it always an important call that is missed... Go figure. Hence it hit the redial, as my phone is 24/7 for work. Wow it was the CL seller. I said I would be wright over, but need to go home and tell the bride. Get home and convinced my wife to come with me. Hesitant and the really was sent at me.

I arrive at the destination, after passing my workplace. Garage is open and it is there. I knock on the door and the owner greats me, "i'll meet you in the garage". I inspected and asked a lot of questions. He was the original owner, purchased new. So do I think this is not real??? 

Picture grab from original post. This is what made me question. :o

Just out of the truck.

Didn't clean a damned thing, 5 minutes out of the truck.

Had to put her to bed outside for the night, needs a new ash sweep.

Still in disbelief, so I had to go out and have a cup of coffee and just stare...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:29:04 AM by glrasmussen »

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: It is an "E", it is Red... What is it?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 09:44:10 PM »
What an awesome find!! What's the date code on it? I've never seen the bowl straps AND regular bowl handles together on the Sequoias. That's awesome!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 09:47:38 PM »
What an amazing find!
Congrats Greg!

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »
Very cool piece of history there. 

Congrats Greg on a very nice grill!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 09:51:19 PM »
Great story, Greg. What a score! The tab and handle combo is interesting. Perhaps those wheels are original too?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 09:57:34 PM »
What an awesome find!! What's the date code on it? I've never seen the bowl straps AND regular bowl handles together on the Sequoias. That's awesome!!

LOL! Craig did you read the subject line? It is an "E" code. Now tell me some stuff, as this is that weird bowl design... Tabs and Handles. Mini legs are factory. I gave it the look over. I does have the two holes for the wire holder/ash pan. Owner said this was exactly how her purchased it. He wore out the ash sweep and never replaced to.  He has a piece of hose on one of the axels to hold the tire on. He told me he know idea where to purchase one and this was a free fix. We just recently heard this fix on WKC.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 10:00:50 PM »
Great story, Greg. What a score! The tab and handle combo is interesting. Perhaps those wheels are original too?

Yes, all real, I asked many questions. From what I have learned on this sight has helped. This is just another odd deal, like the gas performer.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 10:06:27 PM »
Amazing score Greg.  You never cease to amaze us.  Nice work bud!   ;)
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 10:41:54 PM »
Excellent pick up! Looks to be in great shape... congrats!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 02:12:10 AM »

Mini legs are factory. I gave it the look over. I does have the two holes for the wire holder/ash pan. Owner said this was exactly how he purchased it. He wore out the ash sweep and never replaced it.

Yes, the "Mini" legs are factory, just like MiniGrillin's......

Here it is fitted to sit regular, a "G" Code:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/introducing-my-g-code-18-brownie-otg-hermaphrodite/msg98888/#msg98888

T'm thinkin' these were actually the very last of the Red Hot Sequoias!!!!

Where they began to add in the  "pull it out & take it with you campin' " feature.......

Way Cool find man........been drivin' past it not too far away, hidden in a garage, for 15 or 20 years, eh?

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 02:45:05 AM »
Great kettle, great photos! The landscaping at your place is amazing - I almost forgot to look at the amazing mystery kettle. Agree with Buckie that the handle/strap kettles appear to give you the option for quick removal to use remote from the cart. I gotta ask someone at Weber about that.

Kudos for the score, and more so for the post!

Marty

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 03:26:37 AM »
See Greg, good things happen to good people! Congrats, you deserve it buddy!!!!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 04:16:16 AM »
Agree with Buckie that the handle/strap kettles appear to give you the option for quick removal to use remote from the cart. I gotta ask someone at Weber about that.

Marty

As long as you're asking.......see if they came UN-finished for the customer to choose......I believe that's the way it was, but never have seen the question addressed directly................ 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 04:26:07 AM »
Nice pickup on the cart Greg! I may have to come see that baby in person... ;)
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 06:42:10 AM »
Greg, I am REALLY happy for you!  That is an incredible grill that I know you will enjoy!