Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Look Ma.....No Therms.......  (Read 3079 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Look Ma.....No Therms.......
« on: July 10, 2014, 02:01:12 PM »

This is from awhile back, just a little snippet of my general perspective on thermometers & monitoring / controlling stuff......sometimes, it's nice to just let the cooker do what it does best............. 

Somebody somewhere asked this:
"Ever done a 16 hour NO PEEK smoke?"

I realized that the only thing that I would do that goes that long might be a giant clod.....?
Welp......so unfortunately, I didn't have anything that needed cooking for 16 hours, to then be able to not look at,  but did do some pork....
Had another memorial service ( unfortunately ) to cook up some stuff for, did some apps for that & had PP & other food ready, in case they ran low on stuff......

I figured the worst case is drop some at mom's & quick chill the rest to re-heat for last Sunday of the month festivities....exactly what happened.....

Sat AM..... end of the 1st cookup, therms on this one.............

Most of 15# deep fried tater salad....

When I got back from the service & taking back some tables
( folks that supplied the tables had a nice Hunter Green One Touch Plus kettle, the handles were trashed, got them set to get some nice new wood replacements !)

I figured we'll need more pork for Sunday....
Real tired, just crowned & rubbed two butts ( excuse me, Boston Meat Hunks ) stuck 'em on....
no therms, just coals & meat, the way I used to do almost everything..... 8)

On at 9:30 PM........
......off at 6:30 AM

Gotta love that invention of flash photography...

202.......and.....

7-1/2 & 8-1/4#.....9 hours.....slept thru.............
 ALL of it.....
  8) ;D

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Look Ma.....No Therms.......
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 02:05:45 PM »
Look Ma.....No Therms.......

Well said, Ken!  I always figure that the kettle is hot enough to cook meat ... good enough for me.  :D ;) ;)

Oh yeah ...  an orange Thermapen ... the essential temperature gauge for cooking on the Weber.  8)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 03:14:19 PM »
Nice job to just slept through your cooking. Looked great.
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 03:17:05 PM »
The country ribs with baked basement beans (with beer!) and the baked potatoes i did neither one was temped, only set the bottom vent at about 1/4 or so and lit about 5-7 for each easy peasy!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 05:00:13 PM »
I need a cigarette !
(or a doobie now that they're legal !)

8)

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 09:11:30 PM »
Ken, Amazing cook. You even had a few briquettes left for a 9+ hr cook. Did the dogs even warned you?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 09:46:24 PM »
 Thanks, A ....I think they were tired from two all nighters in a row & slept in with me that time....................I was kinda amazed, went out, opened both lids & that's what it looked like.....charcoal burned around, butts done @ 202, 203, time to wrap........... ;D (Happy Face)

Even starting the cookup late & going to sleep, there's still some prep, 'Turd wrapping, sorting thru stuff to get ready for the next day, etc. that goes on beforehand......I try to be as together as I can for the AM.......just ask Winz & Mirk.....when they came to get me for Napa, I still had to get a shower & forgot to load the zucchini !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 07:46:12 AM »
I try to be as together as I can for the AM.......just ask Winz & Mirk.....when they came to get me for Napa, I still had to get a shower & forgot to load the zucchini !!!

Yes, its true.  Buckie still had to shower before we left for Napa, but since we had to ride in the car with him for 2 hours, we decided it was well worth the wait!

Awesome cookup K - timed that snake just right!

As you know, I temp (excessively).  Mostly just an excuse to buy cool Thermoworks stuff.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.