Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Show us your magic! The Color changing appreciation thread.  (Read 11460 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
It's time for another appreciation thread. Show us your color changing reds and yellows or any kettle that changes when hot!

This never ceases to amaze me about the reds...

1964-1968 22.5 Cold.

Same Grill. Wicked Hot.

I still need to work on my yellow before I can fire it up....

Have at it guys!!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:48:09 PM by Craig »

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
Re: Show us your magic! The Color changing appreciation thread.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:18:08 PM »
Cold

Wicked Hot - Everyone talks about how cool their grill looks when it gets hot. The Crate and Barrel green actually gets uglier when it's hot. It turns into this nasty booger green color. Granted, the hot pic shows my grill needing a cleaning but the color is pretty accurate. This is with the kettle pizza on it, when I melted the lid bail rollers and decided I'd never get my baby that hot again!

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 08:21:23 PM »
Here's the old lime green that I picked up three weeks ago or so. I had set the lid on the ground for a minute and it cooled off. When I put it back on you can see the difference between the hot bowl and the cooler lid. You can also see the lighter cooler on the leg sockets. I think it looked very similar to the Homer Simpson yellow when it was very hot. The bowl is still pretty grimy. I hadn't cleaned it up before I cooked on it, just got it blazing hot to kill any cooties from the previous owner.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:28:07 PM by Mark Schnell »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 08:26:23 PM »
Mark, that Performer when hot kind of reminds me of the elusive Sage green Smokey Joe's of the early 1970s.  8)

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 08:31:31 PM »
Craig, that red is a thing of beauty! If I didn't know better I'd say there's no way those two pics could be the same grill. I hope to get a decent red someday. Do you know if the newer reds (not the crimsons) did that same kind of change, or is this just with the older MBH's like you have here?

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »
It is the same grill....  ;) I didn't realize when I was trying to get the same camera angle when hot that I put the lid on facing the other way.. DOH!

The later reds (90s era) do darken when hot, but it seems to take much less fuel to darken the reds of the 1960s and 1970s. The one above was chugging with a half full chimney load (full size chimney) of charcoal. My 1995 EO red takes an over flowing full size chimney to even get half as dark as this one above, or my '79 red, or my '66-'67 18.5 red.

Oh and on the Crimsons, I have it on good authority that they DO NOT change color...   :(  The Crimsons look like a duller version of an already hot old redhead IMO..
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:42:21 PM by Craig »

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 08:44:14 PM »
Craig, that red is a thing of beauty! If I didn't know better I'd say there's no way those two pics could be the same grill. I hope to get a decent red someday. Do you know if the newer reds (not the crimsons) did that same kind of change, or is this just with the older MBH's like you have here?

My 1998 Red MT changes color quite a bit...not quite as much as Craig's though.  I'll have to take a before and after pic in the near future.  Also, I don't notice any change in the color of my brick red performer.
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 08:56:05 PM »
1979 Redhead 22.5

Cold.

Hot. (Note the original triangle had been cleaned and re-installed at the time of this photo, its the same grill as above)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:01:48 PM by Craig »

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 10:52:57 PM »
Cold

Wicked Hot -  It turns into this nasty booger green color.

I have never taken mine to that kind of heat so never saw the booger green, I always thought it looked like
an green apple with a light dusting of cinnamon on top. 
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 06:06:12 AM »
I have never taken mine to that kind of heat so never saw the booger green, I always thought it looked like
an green apple with a light dusting of cinnamon on top.

You can be sure I'll never get her that hot again. That was before I knew about the heat damage that can happen from these kinds of temps and direct contact of the coals on the sides. I was lucky that I didn't get any porcelain damage. Now, when I cook indirect I ONLY use the charcoal baskets so I don't have direct contact. I have an old blackie, a utility kettle, that I can use for the Kettle Pizza attachment.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 07:14:40 AM »
Great thread topic, Craig!

Here is my "M" code red after I finished restoration. Then with the KP adaptor.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 07:23:16 AM »
I'm starting to think there is a color change from regular grilling and then there is "Kettle Pizza Hot!"  8)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Show us your magic! The Color changing appreciation thread.
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 07:27:35 AM »

Cold

Esto Perpetua
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:29:21 AM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Show us your magic! The Color changing appreciation thread.
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 07:28:37 AM »

Sexy

Esto Perpetua
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 02:05:54 PM »
I can't wait to do that with mine.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk