Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Korean style BBQ  (Read 6212 times)

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
Korean style BBQ
« on: May 04, 2014, 03:14:09 AM »
Is there any Korean style grill that can be used on an 18? My cousin wants me to build him a table with a Weber inset as a centrepiece to be used for a Korean type BBQ. I know that there is an insert for the Gourmet system, but that's only for a 22.
If it breathes, we can cook it!

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
Re: Korean style BBQ
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 05:14:16 AM »
Craycort makes a C.I. system for the 18.5
http://www.amazon.com/Grate-Seasoned-Modular-Grills-Large/dp/B004DSPQNQ

Also GrillGrates has a product for the 18.5
http://www.grillgrate.com/index.php?/site/charcoal_grills

They are both a bit pricey but users always seem to give rave reviews on both of these.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 05:16:52 AM »
Those Gourmet BBQ System inserts are about 11" or so diameter and should sit nicely on a standard 18.5 grill grate. Part #8840

Or were you thinking of a different "look" for it?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 12:50:14 PM »
Thanks guys.

ATS,  I'm more interested in the functionality than the look. I just wanted the domed slotted grill that is used for Korean style Q.

Sent from another Galaxy using Mental Telepathy

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 01:12:42 PM »
I do Korean BBQ on my regular grates.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 01:49:17 PM »
Thanks guys.

ATS,  I'm more interested in the functionality than the look. I just wanted the domed slotted grill that is used for Korean style Q.

I've never used the korean bbq insert but to me it looks small. It looks like you only fit a few pieces of Kalbi on it before it gets crowded:

I actually just spent the last 25min looking onling for options for you and this is way harder than I expected. In general, I only see the round slotted surfaces when I get gas k-bbq. Whenever I've went to places that do it on charcoal, I've gotten a really fine bbq grate to cook on. Either one woks fine, it's just an observation.

I did get an idea of using a stainless bbq tray for k-bbq:

I'd love to give that a try for k-bbq on a kettle. It has the slots that you are looking for, large surface area, and stainless so it's easy to clean. It's so big you could even do a 2-zone cook- high heat on one side for galbi/pork belly/chicken and medium heat for bulgogi and veggies. They also have round versions that may look the part better. Hmmm, I've intrigued myself now. And I'm getting hungry.

Good luck on your search.  :)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 02:16:57 PM »
Thanks PBE. The search continues.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 02:22:25 PM »
One option I was looking at, was an option on a single burner butane camp stove like this....

But I'm not sure if it will hold up to some decent heat.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:42:10 PM by Jocool »

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 03:52:05 PM »
Duke, going by what was previously mentioned, it's rather small. So if there are a couple of people sitting around it would mean waiting your turn wouldn't it? Or is the whole premise of the Korean style that you eat as you cook, therefore negating the need to cook in large batches? ???

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 04:06:35 PM »
Duke, going by what was previously mentioned, it's rather small. So if there are a couple of people sitting around it would mean waiting your turn wouldn't it? Or is the whole premise of the Korean style that you eat as you cook, therefore negating the need to cook in large batches? ???

When we do flanken style short ribs, either PNW marinade or Korean marinade it's a grazing show.
Share 'em, as they come off the grill.

Corn on the cob and potato salad are good sides.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 05:49:51 PM »
... When we do flanken style short ribs, either PNW marinade or Korean marinade it's a grazing show.
Share 'em, as they come off the grill. ...

I think that's the idea, especially since those are thinly-sliced pieces of meat. A quick cook, take 'em off, put the next 6 on etc. A 18.5" kettle dedicated to this would be really neat, especially if it could be built into a table where people could sit around it and eat.

That stainless steel grill pan, Weber 6435, might be too big to fit on an 18.5" kettle because it's 18.5" wide; the lid may not fit. Weber makes another that'll work, the 6678, http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6678-Large-Original-Basket/dp/B009IH0I5I/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1399253179&sr=8-16&keywords=weber+stainless+steel+grill+pan (14.5" wide)

Keep in mind that while the video shown on Amazon features an 18.5" kettle (Jumbo Joe ...) it's the smaller of the two grill pan models.

Another one to consider is Lodge's CRSGP12 seasoned steel grilling pan --- similar design as the Webers (slots in bottom to let smoke get through ... ) but probably more stout, and at 16 1/4" wide should just fit on the 18.5" kettle. http://www.lodgemfg.com/CatalogueRetrieve.aspx?ProductID=8184207&A=SearchResult&SearchID=6521584&ObjectID=8184207&ObjectType=27

I would still expect the Korean "insert" from the Gourmet system, with its shape, and being enameled cast iron, to cook the best. You can find other cast iron dome types but they'll lack the slots.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 06:09:41 PM »
Here's Malcolm Reed, Pitmaster doing his Korean Flanken Ribs on GrillGrates.
I use a modified version of his recipe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoNGO_0pD78

I asked Malcolm a couple of questions about his marinade and he was quick to respond.

Ended up leaving out the AP seasoning and cutting back on the soy sauce to suit my taste.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:12:44 PM by DirectDrive »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 08:36:29 PM »

Jo, I appreciate the effort on Weber's part to provide this K-BBQ but I wouldn't buy it for these reasons-

-It's very expensive for what it is.

-It's a funny shape as it's very domed. I like to cook mushrooms with my k-bbq and I think they would just roll into the grease lip.

-The cooking portion isn't that big. Look at that pic I posted up. The tips of the Galbi are in the grease lip. Not good. Also if you are cooking alot of sweet marinated meat it's gonna char up immediately on the surface. Having a larger area let's you cook multiple meats and marinade types without cross contamination

I have this one for my table top gasser at home. It's shape works well but i'd probably try something else for real charcoal.

http://www.amazon.com/Korean-Stovetop-Samgyupsal-Bulgogi-Grilling/dp/B00JAD1IX6

Ooooooh, here's an idea. A weber q grate! The grate spacing is nice and tight and provides alot of thick metal for searing.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:38:50 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791