Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Questions about those old 5 lb propane tanks on the SS Performers  (Read 27861 times)

drtmcd

• Happy Cooker
Re: Questions about those old 5 lb propane tanks on the SS Performers
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2014, 04:29:54 AM »
Just completed a rebuild of my 1998 Performer. Had a split gas hose which needed replacement. Threw the split one out thinking it would be easy to replace (gas orifice included). Called Weber Customer Service and ordered a replacement hose for my 98 Performer. Received a hose with regulator which fits the new throw away propane tanks. Called Weber and was told I could return the part but that I needed to "convert" my Performer to the new throw away tanks and that Quick Discconnects  could / should not be used. Was told the regulator could not be removed (WRONG) from the new hose. Was told that no one would refill my 5 lb Weber propane tank. WRONG - Ace H is happy to do so.

Obtained the necessary 2 fittings from MSC Industrial Supply Co. which allowed me to connect from the new hose (after removing regualator) and connect from 1/8" NPFT to #6 SAE MALE FLARE of the original Marshall 210.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/62251038?rItem=62251038

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/83294785?Arg=nv

26.90 including shipping and handling and my gas starter is now working well.
I have written Weber about the solution above and they want no part of it.

From Weber CS:
"Also, the quick disconnect tanks are no longer being filled, and would require a new style hose/regulator assembly for your grill.  Weber sells the necessary replacements for your grill, to use with the newer QCC1 tanks. Replacing the hose/regulator assembly by modifying is not safe, and needs to be replaced with the parts made specifically for the grill."

I have no idea how many federal, state, and local laws I have broken or continue to violate as I get my charcoal burning without problems.

Wish Weber would have paid more attention to using rust resistance parts.  Had to replace the Kettle  ($90.29) and Ash Catcher ($22.90) in order to replace the frozen One Touch cleaning/ air reg.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2014, 06:15:59 AM »
  Had to replace the Kettle  ($90.29) and Ash Catcher ($22.90) in order to replace the frozen One Touch cleaning/ air reg.

Why was that?  Couldn't you just cut the old parts off with a cutting wheel and replace them with new hardware without scrapping the bowl?  I ask because I just went through this with SS performer I picked up yesterday. The screws for the tube bracket were rusted beyond use or repair.  I flipped the bowl upside down over a trash can and spent about 30sec on each screw head with my grinder. Uncle the screw head is ground down, you can pull the screw shaft and nut out through the bowl. All I need to do now is clean up the tube bracket, paint it with high temp paint, and replace it using stainless steel hardware. That should keep the problem from returning.
-Keith

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2014, 07:12:03 AM »
Just completed a rebuild of my 1998 Performer. Had a split gas hose which needed replacement. Threw the split one out thinking it would be easy to replace (gas orifice included). Called Weber Customer Service and ordered a replacement hose for my 98 Performer. Received a hose with regulator which fits the new throw away propane tanks. Called Weber and was told I could return the part but that I needed to "convert" my Performer to the new throw away tanks and that Quick Discconnects  could / should not be used. Was told the regulator could not be removed (WRONG) from the new hose. Was told that no one would refill my 5 lb Weber propane tank. WRONG - Ace H is happy to do so.

Obtained the necessary 2 fittings from MSC Industrial Supply Co. which allowed me to connect from the new hose (after removing regualator) and connect from 1/8" NPFT to #6 SAE MALE FLARE of the original Marshall 210.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/62251038?rItem=62251038

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/83294785?Arg=nv

26.90 including shipping and handling and my gas starter is now working well.
I have written Weber about the solution above and they want no part of it.

From Weber CS:
"Also, the quick disconnect tanks are no longer being filled, and would require a new style hose/regulator assembly for your grill.  Weber sells the necessary replacements for your grill, to use with the newer QCC1 tanks. Replacing the hose/regulator assembly by modifying is not safe, and needs to be replaced with the parts made specifically for the grill."

I have no idea how many federal, state, and local laws I have broken or continue to violate as I get my charcoal burning without problems.

Wish Weber would have paid more attention to using rust resistance parts.  Had to replace the Kettle  ($90.29) and Ash Catcher ($22.90) in order to replace the frozen One Touch cleaning/ air reg.
Welcome to the forum !
Great first post.

Weber CS has to "tow the party line" when it comes to parts replacement/advice for the older SS Performer gas system.
They would be slammed with a fine (or worse) if they got caught helping someone keep a non-OPD system in service.
OPD valves have been required since Jan 1, 2003.

I think if I was updating an old Performer to OPD I would see about moving the regulator "down stream".
I am conditioned to having a handwheel hose connection at the tank and no regulator in the way.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2014, 09:17:38 AM »
2-things.

A working setup will (or can) still light the burner in 100% humidity (such as during a light or misting rain. I did just that yesterday.

The other thing is, the benefit of a clean gas orifice can't be overstated. Partially clogged, you'll still get flame but it'll be weak. Full flow produces a much more noticeable flame from the tube.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

drtmcd

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »
The bar that holds the Ash Catcher was also completely rusted out. The new Ash Catcher Assembly now attaches to the legs and not the bar. That old "bar" is no longer available as per Weber and I could have "saved"  the 98 Kettle by grinding or drilling out the old cotter key part but would not be able to attach my old or a new Ash Catcher Ring.  Thus a new Kettle and Ash Catcher.

I did drill out the 2 rusted bolts which attached the burner unit to the grill to avoid buying a new burner unit.

As i said in my email to Weber:

"I decided to replace the vent control which had "frozen" several years ago so I could control the heat better to do some low and slow cooking.

I bought a 7409 One Touch Kit from GrillStuff for $24.94. I removed the kettle to replace and then found the nut assembly / cotter key at base of kettle to be completely rusted out  as was the bar which connected to the Ash Catcher Ring Assembly.

I called Weber customer service and was told I needed a new Weber Kettle for $90.29 I observed that there was no way to attach the Ash Catcher and bought a new unit (63093) for  $22.90. By this time I was wondering whether I should have just bought a new Weber 22.5 Kettle pit for $149 here in Atlanta, thrown the legs out  and for the "extra" $10.87 difference had a NEW lid/ thermometer/lid catcher/ charcoal baskets/ charcoal grill and 22.5 inch grill."

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2014, 10:26:03 AM »
The bar that holds the Ash Catcher was also completely rusted out. The new Ash Catcher Assembly now attaches to the legs and not the bar. That old "bar" is no longer available as per Weber and I could have "saved"  the 98 Kettle by grinding or drilling out the old cotter key part but would not be able to attach my old or a new Ash Catcher Ring.  Thus a new Kettle and Ash Catcher.

I did drill out the 2 rusted bolts which attached the burner unit to the grill to avoid buying a new burner unit.

As i said in my email to Weber:

"I decided to replace the vent control which had "frozen" several years ago so I could control the heat better to do some low and slow cooking.

I bought a 7409 One Touch Kit from GrillStuff for $24.94. I removed the kettle to replace and then found the nut assembly / cotter key at base of kettle to be completely rusted out  as was the bar which connected to the Ash Catcher Ring Assembly.

I called Weber customer service and was told I needed a new Weber Kettle for $90.29 I observed that there was no way to attach the Ash Catcher and bought a new unit (63093) for  $22.90. By this time I was wondering whether I should have just bought a new Weber 22.5 Kettle pit for $149 here in Atlanta, thrown the legs out  and for the "extra" $10.87 difference had a NEW lid/ thermometer/lid catcher/ charcoal baskets/ charcoal grill and 22.5 inch grill."

Sorry you went through all that trouble and cost. Replacement ashbars are available here:
weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/okay-who-is-really-interested-one-one-of-these/
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2014, 10:58:56 AM »
Lets clear up a couple things.
You can still use a "Quick Disconeect" on Weber grills. But, the tank needs to be OPD and within the age limits of the law.  We all know that their are some propane dealers who will fill an old tank, but that its probably OPD and not the old Star design.

As for the burner tubes, those are still available. The old reguator and hose assmbly has been updated by weber to use the now standard screw on connector. But its expensive!
If you have your old hose and regulator, don't throw it out!   You can upadte the fittings to the new screw on connector.
Assumong you have a newer tank or are planning on getting one.
If yolu get the newer regulator and valve that Weber put ont he newer Performers, you would have to find a way to mount it to your cart.

There are plent of discussions on the older SS Perfomrers. Do your research and decide what is best for you and then post your tips, ideas and or mods.

Hey drtmcd , did you sy the regulator and hose can be seperated from the newer regulator?
I posted a pic below.. (Second pic)
AJ  8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2014, 11:11:36 AM »
By this time I was wondering whether I should have just bought a new Weber 22.5 Kettle pit for $149 here in Atlanta, thrown the legs out  and for the "extra" $10.87 difference had a NEW lid/ thermometer/lid catcher/ charcoal baskets/ charcoal grill and 22.5 inch grill."

If you mean purchasing a new One Touch Gold for 150 bucks, the bowl wouldn't have mounted into the Performer frame as the OTG doesn't have the mounting flanges.

I don't think we're trying to be smart asses and "talk down" to you, but rather trying to assist and offer advice.
I hope that's how you're taking this info.  :D

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:02:06 PM by Bman »
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2014, 02:50:11 PM »
I don't think we're trying to be smart asses and "talk down" to you, but rather trying to assist and offer advice.
I hope that's how you're taking this info.  :D

Agreed.  I hope it didn't come off like that. I just hate to see a usable bowl (especially one with the performer tabs) go to the scrap pile when it could easily still be in service. All it takes to get those old one touch systems apart is to cut the sweeper shaft on either side of the nut on the bottom of the kettle. After that, the rest should just fall apart with a little wiggling. I know quite a few guys who have fabricated a replacement support bar for the ash bucket. All it takes is a small piece of sheet metal, a grinder, and a bench vice.  In fact, the SS performer I picked up yesterday has a home made support bar on it. It's not pretty, but it's strong, functional, and no one will ever see it

Regardless, glad your performer is still in service
-Keith

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2014, 03:45:42 PM »
If we can figure out if the brass insert that goes into the burner tube is an off the shelf part, we can build our own regulator and tank connectors form less expensive parts.. 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

drtmcd

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2014, 05:51:35 PM »
Yes, the new regulator was easily removed from the hose shown (1/8" male pipe fitting) and the 2 parts from MSC made the connection from the old regulator to the 1/8" pipe. MSC website will show pics of the fittings.

62251038 3/8T X 1/4 NPTF SAE45DEG FEMALE FLARE X M  1  11.2200     $11.22  http://www.mscdirect.com/product/62251038?rItem=62251038
83294785 1/4 NPTF X 1/8 NPTF BRASS REDUCER COUPLING  1  2.7100     $2.71  http://www.mscdirect.com/product/83294785?rItem=83294785

drtmcd

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »
I wish I had a lot of this info 5-6 weeks ago. I would have proceeded differently. I did not remove the bowl until after I bought the One Touch replacement. I then relied on Weber Customer Service for advice and info on available parts. I emailed them detailed pics of my grill and the rusted bar and cotter key.

I thank everyone for the info posted and do not feel anyone is "talking down to me.". I did not find the WKC until AFTER my rebuild was completed. I posted the info on the gas hose problem to possibly help someone out of the pickle I was in. I went to Ace, Lowe's, Home Depot, and 4 other supply stores in Atlanta before I found the parts on the internet. We all act on the info we have at that time. The rest is 20-20 hindsight.

I hope the current Weber Grills have parts that are more rustproof than the bar, flathead bolts, and cotter key on my 98 Performer and that the engineers concern for rusting of parts matches their concern for my expressed intent to allow me to find parts that would allow me to modify or find a hose to connect to my old regulator and 5 lb tank.

Grill covers are not a solution for and do not stop condensation water damage/ oxidation.

f2benny

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2014, 09:36:56 AM »
I bought a  1999 SS today and looking for an answer to this question too.  Mine has OPD QD tank but it's expired though otherwise nice shape.  In the thread, it is mentioned that the 5 lb tank may be refilled from a 20 lb tank which I use on the Genesis (S330).  Can anyone expand on how that would be done if I promise to not complain if I blow up the place?  Thanks

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2014, 09:46:57 AM »
Take heart, whatever is on C/L or ebay will be available again 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2014, 09:49:03 AM »
I bought a  1999 SS today and looking for an answer to this question too.  Mine has OPD QD tank but it's expired though otherwise nice shape.  In the thread, it is mentioned that the 5 lb tank may be refilled from a 20 lb tank which I use on the Genesis (S330).  Can anyone expand on how that would be done if I promise to not complain if I blow up the place?  Thanks

Grab one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F276172-Propane-Adapter/dp/B000AMC5WO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412011496&sr=8-2&keywords=propane&tag=viglink21354-20

Screw one end onto the 5lb tank, then screw the other into your 20lb tank.  Open the valves and away it goes.