Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Questions about those old 5 lb propane tanks on the SS Performers  (Read 27744 times)

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
Re: Questions about those old 5 lb propane tanks on the SS Performers
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 09:50:24 PM »
Mine have never been turned away from 3.different propane shops.  Ace hardware was one of them. My tank does have the opd.  If the handle is star shaped it does not have an opd. The triangle shaped handled tanks do have an opd.  I have seen a large tank with an adaptor to run a propane heater which uses the same quick release fitting.

Sent from my Atari 2600 using Tapatalk.

SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 09:54:15 PM »
If the bluey is gone, u will find one. I had 3.for a while. One was free and I bought the other two on the same day.

Sent from my Atari 2600 using Tapatalk.

SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 03:41:04 AM »

One thing you might watch out for, though:  some of the tank filling dudes are pretty green, so you should keep an eye out that they don't put more than about a gallon of gas into the tank.  I've had one overfilled once, and it was impossible to turn off the flame.  ...

This would seem like a good reason to only use a tank with an OPD (i.e. Overfill Protection Device) valve.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 08:44:46 PM »

One thing you might watch out for, though:  some of the tank filling dudes are pretty green, so you should keep an eye out that they don't put more than about a gallon of gas into the tank.  I've had one overfilled once, and it was impossible to turn off the flame.  ...

This would seem like a good reason to only use a tank with an OPD (i.e. Overfill Protection Device) valve.

Absolutely correct!  Though in my case I simply disconnected the tank between uses until the pressure went down to a normal level. Still, not the safest situation.
One of the charcoal people.

utahusker

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 06:53:39 AM »
I have a 5 lb OPD tank that has a quick connect.  Is there an adapter I can buy to make it external threaded for filling?  The reason is, no one here has an adapter so they can't fill a quick connect tank.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 08:07:49 AM »
I have a 5 lb OPD tank that has a quick connect.  Is there an adapter I can buy to make it external threaded for filling?  The reason is, no one here has an adapter so they can't fill a quick connect tank.
Your local propane supply store may have something.

Or if your quick connect fitting looks like this and you have the tool shown in the pic you could remove the QC for refilling.
That would sort of cancel out the usefulness of the QC though. Which IMO, isn't really that useful for this application anyway.

Or convert to a hose with a hand wheel at the tank end and eliminate the quick connect.

Whichever way you decide to go, you will find a better assortment of hardware at your local propane supplier's store.
And of course, much more expertise as well.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:12:51 AM by DirectDrive »

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 06:02:50 PM »
Update :

Checked with one of my local propane guys and he still has a stinger that engages the internal threads. He could still fill an old POL valved tank but it would violate Federal law.
He has an adapter for a quick connect and also an adapter for the OPD external threads.
He said that sometimes he will see an OPD valve without the internal threads.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 06:04:25 PM by DirectDrive »

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 12:30:13 PM »
Hey Folks,

Hoping you can help me! I am having trouble getting the ignition to light the burner on my SS cart. When I turn on the gas I can get the gas lit by using a lighter so I know gas is getting to the tube. I even swapped out an ignition switch from a working newer performer to see if the old ignition is shot but I couldn't get that one to work either. What would you guys do next to trouble shoot?

This is my connection, it is a quick release and the propane tank is OPD certified. It came with the grill so I don't know if I will have trouble getting it refilled?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »
Hey Folks,

Hoping you can help me! I am having trouble getting the ignition to light the burner on my SS cart. When I turn on the gas I can get the gas lit by using a lighter so I know gas is getting to the tube. I even swapped out an ignition switch from a working newer performer to see if the old ignition is shot but I couldn't get that one to work either. What would you guys do next to trouble shoot?

This is my connection, it is a quick release and the propane tank is OPD certified. It came with the grill so I don't know if I will have trouble getting it refilled?

It sounds like you have a bad ground. Clean up the connection at the burner tube/piezo/screw. Also check the tip of the piezo that it's not all gunked up. If it it, clean it off with a brush and some sandpaper.

Step 5 and 6 below should help.

Touch N' Go Gas assist repair

Sorry no pics here right now, but here is what I did to fix my igniter.

First I made sure that the there was still propane. I could feel the liquid in the tank, hear it when opened, and use a match to light the burner tube. But my igniter didn't work.

Here is my igniter fixing flowchart:

0. Make sure the igniter button isnt wet.

1. Is there liquid propane still in tank? Shake it lightly and feel for it.

2. Connect all the lines.

3. Are you getting good propane flow through the tube, and regulator? Open the valve on the tank. you should be able to hear the tank hissing when you open it and smell the propane. DO NOT STICK YOUR HEAD IN THE BOWL. If you don't hear the hissing or smell, close the valve. There is another brass valve parallel to the regulator hose. Make sure that little valve handle is open (pointing parallel to or along the hose). If you don't here hissing still your regulator is probably shot.

4. Try to ignite the flame with the igniter push button or a match. If the igniter button works, great! But it probably won't. If the match works you can skip the tube cleaning step 5,  but it is still useful.

5. Clean the burner tube. To begin fixing the gas assist pop off the clip at the end of the igniter tube. Removing this tube by taking off the igniter ground wire / element and loosening the tube clamp with a slotted screwdriver or wrench will make this a hell of alot easier. You dont need to remove the clamp. Just loosen it and pull the tube into the bowl. You can't pull the tube out without completely taking off the clamp because of the flat end that is wider. Look inside the tube. Chances are there will be ashcrud and cobwebs in it. Clean this all out with water. You can also use sandpaper on the tube to make it nice and shinier again.

6. Test the igniter. remove the igniter button assembly if you haven't already. Hold the igniter wires in one hand and push the buttton with the other. IT SHOULD LIGHTLY SHOCK YOU like static on a doorknob so if you easily yell expletives make sure there are no kids around. If it didn't shock you, your piezo is dead so buy a new igniter. If it shocked you, we can fix it! Take some sand paper and lightly sand the igniter tip until it's clean bare metal. It's pretty stout but be careful not to break it. Also make sure that the ground wire and bolt is not escessively rusty or you may not get a good connection. Mine was moderately rusty but it still worked.

7. Reassemble and retest. Everything should work now. If not, sell your performer and buy a big green egg.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 02:19:37 PM »
Thanks Gummi I will try that! Do you think I will have a problem getting that propane tank refilled?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 03:00:38 PM »
Well you have an opd so that's a good start. A lot of local ace's in Chicagoland have propane fillip stations. Give them a call and ask if they can refill a quick connect tank for an rv. Uhaul does the same service. You can try to get an expired tank at your own risk or get it recertified.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 05:09:00 PM »
Thanks Gummi I will try that! Do you think I will have a problem getting that propane tank refilled?

My "surefire" way of knowing if I have spark or not, is to take the burner tube off the grill, look down the tube, and click the igniter button a dozen times and look for spark.  It should be a nice strong spark.  Unless it's extremely damp outside, it should fire up ok as long as you have spark.

Is it just me, or does the regulator look upside down?

Your tank is the OPD tank and the yellow sticker says so.  As long as your refilling station still has the quick-connect fitting, you should be golden.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 05:11:34 PM »

My "surefire" way of knowing if I have spark or not, is to take the burner tube off the grill, look down the tube, and click the igniter button a dozen times and look for spark.  It should be a nice strong spark.  Unless it's extremely damp outside, it should fire up ok as long as you have spark.

Your tank is the OPD tank and the yellow sticker says so.  As long as your refilling station still has the quick-connect fitting, you should be golden.

Ooh that's a great tip. I'll make sure to update the step by step and credit you Bman!

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 09:56:13 PM »
I can attest that BMan's method of checking the spark works having used it myself - I assumed that was the common sense way everyone used to check. I actually do it while it is attached to the bowl as the shade under the table helps you see the spark even better. If it isn't lighting cleaning out the tube should be an early step in diagnosing.

FWIW, five-point wheels doesn't automatically mean a tank doesn't have OPD, although it usually does. This OPD five-point handwheel tank was on a performer I picked up a few months ago:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:00:15 PM by OGlenn »
Uncommon sense seeker

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 04:05:49 AM »

Haha yeah the regulator is upside down...I just connected it real quick while messing around with it to try and get it to light. Good tip on the burner tube..thanks Bman!