Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Orange smoke wood?  (Read 1814 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Orange smoke wood?
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:22:45 PM »
Anyone ever use wood from an orange tree for smoking purposes? Is it any good? Is it worth trying? I found a place that sells orange wood chunks for use as a smoke wood. I have read from several sources that it is fantastic to cook a Thanksgiving turkey using this. I also read that the smoke is suppose to be light and fruity like apple and cherry, only slightly stronger?

The other thing I read was someone said it was suppose to be poisonous to burn? It will make you sick? I had never heard that one before? Seems hard to believe? Anyone ever heard that before? I was thinking about trying it? I thought I'd check with you guys first before buying. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:20:30 PM by ramsfan »
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Orange smoke wood?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:41:39 PM »
When I was a kid we lived in a rural area and had a nice grove of citrus. We cooked on branches pruned from our trees all the time and it was certainly not poisonous. I think that you will like it!:)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 03:49:52 AM »
I've also heard that black walnut is poisonous and strong and bitter and DON'T USE IT.

I've used it and found that it has a pleasant mild taste. Maybe it's too strong to use in a stick burner, but a couple chunks mixed with the charcoal is fine.

It can cause problems for horses if the sawdust is included in their bedding and produces a substance that inhibits the growth of a lot of plants near them. I suppose that's where some of this information comes from. Perhaps the same thing came about with orange wood.

There is also a tree called osage orange and perhaps there is confusion between the two.
kettles, smokers...

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 05:55:03 AM »
Orange wood is great!  It is defintely a more mild smoke, so I prefer it on poultry and pork.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 06:03:18 AM »
I got some at Bass Pro....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 10:25:46 AM »

As long as it's "cured".......air dried for maybe 6 months ~ 1 yr. you should be just peachy.....or orangy, as the case may be.....

I use this stuff quite a bit ~~~>

http://www.onocharcoal.com/2-products/products.html

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/57209857736969232/

At 1st I thought it was right up there with Wicked Good, but it doesn't quite shape up that well......burns a bit faster & crumbles easier, but still pretty decent.....

IT COES very definitely smell (& taste lightly in the food ) like orange............ ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 03:18:12 PM »

As long as it's "cured".......air dried for maybe 6 months ~ 1 yr. you should be just peachy.....or orangy, as the case may be.....

I use this stuff quite a bit ~~~>

http://www.onocharcoal.com/2-products/products.html

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/57209857736969232/

At 1st I thought it was right up there with Wicked Good, but it doesn't quite shape up that well......burns a bit faster & crumbles easier, but still pretty decent.....

IT COES very definitely smell (& taste lightly in the food ) like orange............ ;D

Does the smoke smell like oranges when it's coming out of the smoker vent?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 05:57:22 PM »

Yeah.....

"IT COES very definitely smell "

This was supposed to read:

IT DOES very definitely smell.....like oranges....very pleasant........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"