Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: sun's out.  (Read 1167 times)

smokeyjoeuk-ray

• Smokey Joe
sun's out.
« on: September 03, 2013, 10:25:49 PM »
The sun is out here so why not.

A quick trip to the butchers got me a whole chicken, that was soon spatch’d and put in brine.

Whilst that was doing it’s thing, I made up a butter containing sundried tomato paste, garlic, black pepper and dried oregano.

The bird was brined for around 3 hours, patted dry and left for an hour, then the butter was stuffed under the skin and the whole thing put into foil for a further hour.

a sweet red pepper was “turdified” with a cream cheese, cheddar, onion and sun dried tomato filling, wrapped in bacon with a final sprinkling of “magic dust” rub that I am trying for the first time.

I also cut up a couple of spuds into wedges, they were dusted with the magic dust and put in a bag with a bit of oil.

So far so good.

Sj was prepped and lit, beer was opened, well  actually I opened a nice cold cider(I do like a good cider)

So, timer in pocket, the cooking got underway, first on was the bird, I left it in the foil, breast down over indirect heat for half an hour, then opened the foil for another half hour before finishing on direct heat.

At the same time, I put one of the turds on, straight on direct heat for 10 mins then onto indirect heat to finish off.

The wedges and the other turd would have to wait till they had room.

Things went pretty good except for a slight dip in temp cos I needed more coals, I had waited too long before adding them, will get it right next time.

The chicken turned out seriously juicy, it could have done with a bit more flavor from the butter mix, but that is one to play with in the future.

The turds are becoming my favorite, well let’s face it, anything with bacon and cheese can’t be bad.

The wedges turned out great cooking wise, but the “magic dust”, that was lacking in flavor, I’m gonna try again later and tweak it a touch.

All in all, I was yet again happy with the results.

Till the next one, oh yeh that’s going to be later today. ;D

I need a red head in my life, and a roti ring.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: sun's out.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 01:50:36 AM »

"well let’s face it, anything with bacon and cheese can’t be bad."

......yeah, buddy !!!!!

I'm srill amazed by people that can cook bigger stuff (whole spatched chicken, for instance !) on that size cooker.....Good Deal !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

smokeyjoeuk-ray

• Smokey Joe
Re: sun's out.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 08:42:05 PM »
i'm loving the sj, for the missus and i, its perfect, although i really do like the look of the "one touch"  ::)

I need a red head in my life, and a roti ring.