Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Have a few questions  (Read 559 times)

mack kettle

• Happy Cooker
Have a few questions
« on: August 29, 2020, 10:52:10 AM »
I have been looking at the "what's on the grill now." I am wondering how do you get the meat that way without burning it? I also noted in a lot of pictures of the grills that most are using indirect heat. Do you have to add coal to the fire while cooking say a butt, roast etc? Trying to learn the kettle grill.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Have a few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 11:58:02 AM »
There are a lot of ways to grill food, but it depends on what your cooking. 
1.) When smoking food you will generally be using indirect heat or using a stacker with height and a deflector. 
2.) For chicken I like to use direct heat, but with some height so use a stacker.  It tends to limit how much it actually gets burnt.   
3.) For steak, brats, and burgers I like to use indirect heat and finished off with direct heat/searing.
4.) If you want to do smash burgers you want direct heat on a griddle to be super hot so you can smash them and cook quickly.

If you only rely on direct heat you will tend to burn/overcook a lot of your food.  Sometimes it just comes down to experimenting and experience.  I have come a long way in my years of grilling and I know I have plenty more to learn from others and my own experiences.

If you want specifics on how someone cooked this dish or that dish use the @mack kettle tag feature like so and ask.  Most people here are more than happy to give advise unless it is their super secret recipe.

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Have a few questions
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 02:03:04 PM »
Look here https://www.weber.com/US/en/grill-skills/weber-33803.html  this can get you started, all of the info is directed towards a Kettle (except the gas section) it should get you on the right road.

After that as ReanimatedRobot said ask questions!  Oh and practice!  :)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......