Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mike's Memphis dust rub amped up  (Read 1764 times)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Mike's Memphis dust rub amped up
« on: July 05, 2013, 10:52:09 AM »
So yesterday I mixed up this rub and duke asked me to post it. I have made a few tweaks from yesterday that I thought would help add a more savory aspect to it. First I will list the original Memphis dust recipe, then my twist after it. This makes a big batch of rub..

This is a high sugar rub! Low and slow is the preferred method!

Memphis Dust original recipe
3/4 cup dark brown sugar packed tightly when measured
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika (I keep smoked paprika in the house, it adds another layer of flavor either will work)
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons ginger
2 tablespoons of onion powder
2 tablespoons of ground rosemary(I left this out)

The original is really nice but there isn't any heat and could use some oomph to boost the flavor. So this is what I added to the original recipe.
My twist
2 tablespoons of ground mustard
2 tablespoons of roasted coriander
1 tablespoons of cardamom (this gives an almost lemony taste when it hits your tongue use in lower doses if your winging this recipe)
3 tablespoons of cinnamon
1/4 cup of ancho chili powder
*i didn't have cumin yesterday but I would have added it if I could. Start with a tablespoon and add a little at a time until you like the taste. I will grab some and update the recipe next time I make it.*

Notes: brown sugar likes to cake up, I mixed everything in a kitchen mixer first. Then I used a small strainer with small holes to sift out the lumps. Once all the lumps have been separated and the rest if the rub is in your dish. Take and push the lumps through the holes of the strainer to break them down. I assume a flour sifter would do the same thing and probably less work but I don't own one.

Enjoy! Let me know if anyone tests this, if you don't want as big of a yield in the rub cut the recipe in half. I would live feed back to help make this better!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Mike's Memphis dust rub amped up
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:24:08 AM »
Bump to increase interest in the new consolidated recipe section!

This post went unnoticed because it was buried in the recipe dungeon, but it deserves another look. Thanks, CS!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Mike's Memphis dust rub amped up
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
Thanks Gummi! I have taken out the cardamom from the recipe. It's not bad but also didn't play right in the final product. I just made this again last week and its much better now without that.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer