Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Convert Newer Performer to 5 lb. Bottle  (Read 661 times)

chipmeister

• Happy Cooker
Convert Newer Performer to 5 lb. Bottle
« on: September 08, 2019, 09:20:20 AM »
Hi all, getting ready to replace an older Performer Deluxe with a new one. But I'm not a fan of the small disposable gas bottle. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience retrofitting a new one to use the refillable 5 lb. gas bottle from the old style? It seems that finding a place to mount the bottle would not be a problem so it seems to come down to the hookup and connections. Thanks.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Convert Newer Performer to 5 lb. Bottle
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 11:10:56 AM »
I think the trick is in getting the correct hose and regulator assembly, which are for the SSP and cost prohibitive on ereplacement parts. Not sure what Weber will charge directly.......you may be able to find someone who wants to part out their SSP.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 01:15:44 PM »
You could always buy a hose that would allow you to hook up a standard size propane tank. Not sure if it fit the 5 lb though. Jules V. recommended this in another thread.

Bayou Classic MCR1 Adapter Hose LP 4FT MfrPartNo MCRI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M26G432/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_a9wDDb4QQAENZ

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

chipmeister

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 09:43:02 PM »
Thanks folks. I was thinking an adapter hose might do the trick but I will have to see if it fits the 5lb. bottle. It's the bottle that came with my old performer. It's really the perfect size. I also want to find a spot to mount the bottle.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 05:23:49 AM »
You could also just find a rough SSP and take the gas assist from it.  Mounting a bottle might require a custom bracket to look right on a current gen cart. I would probably just let it sit on the shelf below it it were me. The 5 lb bottle works great on the SSP because the table flips up.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

chipmeister

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 04:33:59 PM »
Thanks. That's actually my plan, just let it sit on the shelf. Actually, the original one mounts to a metal bar that just unscrews from the frame. I thought I could just transfer it to the new one and drill a mounting hole. But shelf will be way easier. Also contacted a gas business and they said they have conversion fittings that go from the 20lb size to a 5lb size so prbably going to do that.