Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyone ever turned a gasser into a charcoal grill?  (Read 3254 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Has anyone ever turned a gasser into a charcoal grill?
« on: June 14, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »
I keep seeing these old red woodies around and was thinking it would be fun to turn one into a charcoal grill with a gas sideburner. Has anyone tried it? Do they not seal well?

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: Has anyone ever turned a gasser into a charcoal grill?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:58:45 PM »
That sounds like something Duke would try.

;)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:00:08 PM »
Old red woodies? You mean Old Genesis grills?  ???

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 11:58:28 PM »
I keep seeing these old red woodies around and was thinking it would be fun to turn one into a charcoal grill with a gas sideburner. Has anyone tried it? Do they not seal well?

Does this count?

Anyways, without modification for airflow an old gasser with charcoal put on the flavorizers is at the mercy of the amount of the charcoal burning underneath. You get no temp control whatsoever. My uncle used to do it and it works fine for high heat grilling of thin meats like burgers, Satays, etc.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 08:22:46 AM »
Lawrence, i would think you qould drill holes and put some daisy wheels in.  I do not think it is anterrily efficient idea, but would be interesting.

For what it is worth, in Mexico I see gas grills gutted out and used as charcoal grills frequently.  Charcoal grilling has historically been far more popular than "gas" there.