Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lets talk Pizza Stones.  (Read 3179 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Lets talk Pizza Stones.
« on: May 28, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »
I'm in the market for a pizza stone.  Does anybody here have a favorite brand I should steer toward?   
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Lets talk Pizza Stones.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 06:00:47 PM »
In my opinion, red sky makes the best.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 07:22:43 PM »
You could get a kiln shelf at the local clay dealer. They are really thick and last forever. They usually run around $50. I also have a Lodge pizza pan that turns out some nice pies and will give the baking steel a run for it's money. The baking steel still get's rave reviews everytime. bakingsteel.com

Here's a lodge vs. baking steel bake off. I think this may be the greatest pizza making site out there. I have learned a lot from it. They will teach you to make the best pies out there. Enjoy!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=baking%20steel%20vs.%20lodge&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fslice.seriouseats.com%2Farchives%2F2012%2F10%2Fthe-pizza-lab-baking-steel-lodge-cast-iron-pizza.html&ei=SnSlUYmiG8PBigKWqoGoCA&usg=AFQjCNFlYtrKHpgbqb3idKQUZfmH4euo9Q&bvm=bv.47008514,d.cGE

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:27:26 PM by Duke »

CeramicChef

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »
I have a very nice stones that I purchased some years ago that has served me very well. It's made by Primo and is a big heavy stone. The thermal mass it has convinced me to buy it as well as the opinions of other Primo owners who had used it.

I have two very good friends who just had to have the steel mentioned in Duke's post. These guys also had the Primo stone. My buddies swear the baking steel produces the world best pizza! And these guys are very serious pizza affecianados.

Good crust comes down to having a lot of thermal mass under it. Thats why HankB's post is so very interesting ... those firebrick have a ton of thermal mass. That's a very cost effective way to cook very good pizza. It's essentially the floor of a dedicated pizza oven!

As for me, I think I'll stick with my Primo stone for now. When I futz things up and drop it, I'm certain I'll be buying the Baking Steel.

Here's to great cooks and even better memories with family and friends!  8)

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 08:02:50 PM »
Get the Lodge cast iron pizza pan.  Versatile, you can other things on it as well. 

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 08:33:56 PM »
I second the Lodge pizza pan....It works great for pizza and is versatile, I use it for doing burgers or anything else that needs a griddle. You can unfortunately only use a stone for pizza or bread and it can break from careless handling or accidents or even the temp changes to and from the grill. I would also recommend a Lodge 12 inch skillet for pizza. I use one of mine more for making pizza than my pizza pan....it makes great pan/deep dish pizza and if you spread a full chimney of coals around the bowl in a ring and raise the pan off of the greats with something like the charcoal baskets you will get even heat around the pizza and more heat on the top....just eyeball the bottom of the crust until it gets golden brown and the top will be done too. Here is a pic from another post.....if you flip the baskets upside down they will be more stable than the way I had them setup in this picture.(Also note that I did not have the charcoal spread around the bowl in a ring in this picture as I was still trying to perfect my technique...I now spread the coals as I described and have had GREAT results!)

If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!