Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bought some Japanese Wagyu A5 and need advice.  (Read 1017 times)

bigssa

• WKC Brave
Bought some Japanese Wagyu A5 and need advice.
« on: March 25, 2019, 04:12:23 PM »
I’ve been wanting to try some real Wagyu beef for a long time. I saw that Costco sells a ribeye roast for ~$100/lb, which is as good of a price as you can find (https://www.costco.com/Japanese-Wagyu-Boneless-Ribeye-Roast%2c-A-5-Grade%2c-12-lbs.product.100311435.html). The problem is that it is a 12 lbs roast and my wife would murder me if I spent that kind of money on beef. I had the great idea of getting other people at work to buy 1 lb steaks which would allow me to actually buy this beast. After some serious wheeling and dealing, I found enough people to go in on it and I made the purchase. I committed to buying 2 lbs in case I screw up the first steak.
This is what arrived:

This thing is the real deal and the marbeling is beyond belief. The picture really does not do it justice. I have sliced it into 12 steaks and vacuum sealed them.
To get to my question, has anyone ever cooked something like this before? Any recommendations on how to get the most flavor out of this steak? I am worried about putting it over direct coals because there is so much fat and it melts like butter in your hand, which will mean that it would be engulfed in flames.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Bought some Japanese Wagyu A5 and need advice.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 05:54:12 PM »
Two of Kosmos most recent YouTube videos have him cooking something similar. In one of them he actually chicken fried it...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 08:01:34 PM »
Might be better to pan sear than direct over coals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 03:12:44 AM »
Congrats on getting some A5.  I’ve been wanting to acquire it for sometime now.

I’m not sure what the best method to cook it is but I’m sure you will have it figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 10:16:21 AM »
Pan searing is where I am leaning.
The other thing about these steaks is that they have a VERY large surface area, which means that they are relatively thin.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 12:48:19 PM »
Yeah, you didn't mention how thick the steaks were.  If they are thick enough, you could look at a reverse sear or, if you have a set of GrillGrates, those should provide some protection from flair-ups.  As you may know, if you flip them over, you can cook like you're on a flattop.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 03:01:06 PM »
For my money, cast iron pan with butter ( get some really good artisan butter) and herbs over a ring of coals for the sear, and you might want to consider sous vide first. 128 would be good. On the screaming hot pan for one minute per side. Keep it rare, and have a bottle of cab sav aired out and ready. Forget the side dishes and anything else that might distract you. Don’t ruin a $100 steak because you are waiting for a 50 cent potato to finish. Meat. Wine. Done.
Retired

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 04:03:10 PM »
For my money, cast iron pan with butter ( get some really good artisan butter) and herbs over a ring of coals for the sear, and you might want to consider sous vide first. 128 would be good. On the screaming hot pan for one minute per side. Keep it rare, and have a bottle of cab sav aired out and ready. Forget the side dishes and anything else that might distract you. Don’t ruin a $100 steak because you are waiting for a 50 cent potato to finish. Meat. Wine. Done.
Solid advice. I will give this a try and post the results.
Thanks!

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 07:08:27 PM »
I tried finding enough people to do that but failed :( check out Guga Food's on YouTube. He has made a lot of A5 a lot of different ways on the grill.

My friend got an A5 Wagyu for Valentine's and he said it was so rich because of all the fat that a 1# Wagyu was enough for him and his wife who normal have 1# each.

Looking forward to seeing your cook!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 07:11:20 PM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 02:32:05 AM »
Meat. Wine. Done. I love it @56MPG and very true
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 06:02:15 PM »
Marty hit the bullseye.

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 12:14:39 AM »
I’ve cooked wagu once before. Thin sliced from Mitsua. It has a lot of oil in the meat. I would cook at least once of those steaks with a small amount of butter and salt in a pan and Kiss the coals at the end. By kiss I mean semi indirect for 20 seconds. There going to be rich. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club