Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question for you Ranch Kettle guys...  (Read 932 times)

racedvl

• WKC Brave
Question for you Ranch Kettle guys...
« on: September 10, 2018, 04:33:00 PM »
So I'm getting use of a Ranch kettle this Friday cooking hot dogs and burgers for about 150 people or so. I have the grill till Monday night. So, I'm thinking of having a rib party on Sunday.  Lately I have been doing them hot and fast. Has anyone done a load of baby backs hot and fast on a Ranch?  I'm thinking about 4-6 slabs laid flat. Has anyone done this? Any tips or tricks? These 2 cooks will be the first time cooking on a Ranch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Question for you Ranch Kettle guys...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 05:15:50 PM »
Haven't done ribs yet hot and fast, but my first suggestion would be 4 full chimneys on one half of the grill, should get you plenty of heat all vents wide open, with room for error on the indirect side

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 05:51:20 PM »
Damn, I only own 3 chimneys.... lol

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 08:33:23 PM »
I agree with @JEBIV, mine is very forgiving with that much fuel and set up wide open.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 12:05:53 AM »
Few more questions. Soon I'm going to fire up my ranch for the first time. I will use the advice of 4 starters. My questions: how long it's keeping the high temp assuming that I will make some short cook things and will use Weber briquettes (with the lid open frequently). Furthermore, how many burgers approx. will fit on a half of the cooking grate?.

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 12:24:05 AM »
I usually run ribs on the ranch at about 275 degrees and get good results.

This is a mixture of some ribs I had in the freezer. I think there were some of those big "bronto" spares with their rib tips, some St Louis cut spares, and some loin or baby back ribs.

This was my setup for this cook. Used 4 Weber charcoal rails for the charcoal and had the fire on both sides. This is my favorite way to do ribs.

Used 2 hotel pans for drip pans.

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 06:05:29 PM »
I love the look of that many ribs laid out there....

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »
I have set mine up with charcoal on about 1/3rd of the ranch and fit a “shit-ton” of burgers on it. [emoji39] I think you could translate that into about 25 or so. I run it for short cooks over course of about 3 to 4 hours doing a lot of hotdogs, bratwurst, and hamburgers to feed over 100 people. I start with 2 chimneys of charcoal dumped on top of a layer of unlit charcoal about 1 to 2 briquettes deep. After opening the top quite a bit, I’ll add about 3/4 of a chimney of unlit charcoal after about 2 1/2 hours just because feel like it. A lot of times it’s overkill. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 08:11:19 PM »
I would do a fire on both sides. The ranch is so big that high heat doesn't spread that well from one side to the other when it's fully loaded.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 09:50:02 PM »
Thnx, I will use all the advices!