Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mini WSM Questions  (Read 674 times)

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
Mini WSM Questions
« on: September 14, 2018, 06:16:33 AM »
I am considering building a Mini WSM and have a few questions for those who have tried this.   Feel free to give advice or opinions.    So here is what I know.   The 32 qt vasconia pot is the best fit but has become expensive and hard to find.   The Imusa can be purchased through Walmart but the rim will need to be crimped for the lid to fit.  I have already checked the fit at my local Walmart and the lid was 1/4" bigger than the outside of the SJ lid.   The third option is a more expensive pot at $40, the Outdoor Gourmet 36 qt. but is reported as a perfect fit and is a bit taller.

Looking at construction, has anyone mounted the steamer pot lid to the bottom of the steamer pot.  I have seen this recommended as it allows the body to sit on the lid and the lid would sit on the rim of the Smokey Joe vs the pot sitting inside the SJ on the cooking grate shelf.  This would also allow for multiple bodies to be stacked.

I like a good DIY project. I also know some of the opinions out there might be dated before Weber was producing the smaller 14" WSM.  So maybe the better question is now that Weber is selling a 14" WSM are these still relevant?  If a good used 14" WSM could be had should I go that route instead of trying to fabricate my own solution that might be a flop.   Currently I see one listed locally on a sale page for $100, it is used but clean and stored in the box.  Is this a better option?  Thanks Guys. 

TD

• WKC Brave
Re: Mini WSM Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 07:21:56 AM »
I have an Imusa Pot that the SJ lid fits. Did they change, or are they not all the same. They were a little tight at the bottom. If the Lid on the ones now are that big, will the pot fit the SJ bottom?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:24:23 AM by TD »

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 07:48:56 AM »
The bottom of the pot fit in the SJ bottom but the SJ lid was too far out.  I have read they vary in size, and some guys take their SJ to the store to test fit before they purchase.  I had to have the pot shipped to the store so I only had one to test fit. 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 08:11:09 AM »
A stock 14 wsm would be awesome but it’s still not a mini. Minis look cool. Proceed with project. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 04:06:00 PM »
One more question I had.  How hot can you get the aluminum pot before you are in danger of melting it?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Mini WSM Questions
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 07:42:22 PM »
One more question I had.  How hot can you get the aluminum pot before you are in danger of melting it?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

No danger of that unless your doing something other than cooking with it.

The melting point of aluminum is 1221 degrees. Remember, the pot was designed to be placed on a burner.  You would need to be smoking really really hot and fast to melt the pot.  Ribs in 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:49:40 PM by HoosierKettle »