Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Restore or not?  (Read 678 times)

Hacksaw

• Smokey Joe
Restore or not?
« on: September 01, 2018, 10:45:52 AM »
I’ve just picked up a 1985 red one touch kettle, basically identical to the 1986 one on determine the age page.

It’s battered. But complete. There’s a tiny hole next to a leg socket, however, all the sockets feel sound. Plenty of knocks chips and dings. I’ve bought it to use it, however, it needs new handles and a complete new ash scraper system. Even though it’s got its original grill, I’d want to throw a new one of those on as well.

I’ve now got three question.
Q1. Should I even bother? I like it’s honesty but it’s pretty well used. The spares are going to cost me over £100. However, It seems a shame to skip it.
Q2. Should I paint the dings and chips or leave as is?
Q3. Will a new one touch scraper set fit ok? No way to repair the old, it’s rusted to bits.

Thanks all.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
Re: Restore or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 05:00:25 PM »
A1. Yes, bring it back to its former glory, if the cost doesn't scare you.
A2. Yes if the dings and chips bother you. The way I see it you're putting a lot of time, effort and money into this grill, the paint is the finishing touch to a brand new looking grill.
A3. Yes the new one touch system will work. Just for curiosities sake can you take a pic of the old one touch system inside and out

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
Re: Restore or not?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 09:06:40 PM »
IMHO, yes bother with the restore but I'd leave the chips and dings.  In the immortal words of Tow Mater "those dents are way too valuable"
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger