Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Plan for Friday night....  (Read 683 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Plan for Friday night....
« on: July 24, 2018, 01:06:55 PM »
Assuming the lovely bride doesn't change my plans of course.... I haven't been on here in a bit due to a busted fridge and being out of town for a family matter... Well I am back and I have a couple of plans for the weekend...

The JJP comes out of the garage and gets set up for smoking up some ribs. Lessons learned from last cook are as follows...

#1. I don't care what Weber says, so NOT cut the rib racks in half, they will be too short!
#2. 2 racks of ribs sounds like enough for 2 people, for several meals, until you remember 2 things, A. she's pregnant, and B her brother and his wife tend to show up unexpectedly while I am BBQing... I think my wife may be mentioning it in passing and voila they show up!
#3. Once you think you've got enough beans, cook more.

So the plan is for 4 racks of ribs, assuming I can find a good price on ribs that is. Really enjoyed the loin spare ribs we did last time. Leave the Weber BBQ rub in the pantry and ONLY use the Adams + my special ingredients... The Weber rub is great IF I am planning on saucing my ribs. I am not...  Oh and make SURE you have LOTS of apple juice, and onion for the steam / drip pan!

Once the ribs are done, we clear the ash and load up the grill for another load to smoke. Assuming again good price on good quality meat, I am going to try my hand at a brisket on the 22... I have Pecan chunks and am enthusiastic about trying this...

Meanwhile on the Smokey Joe. Bratwurst, Burgers, hot dogs, and fajita chicken breast. And once that is done, rebuild the fire as it should be close to burned out / down,  Elotes (Mexican street corn). My elotes differ from some folks, but I was taught by an Elotero in Houston how they do them and the translation I do is close enough and fitting to my taste...

Some people will tell you to be Elotes it has to have certain toppings. Bull. To be Elote it has to be fire roasted corn topped with something.

I take the corn and pull the husk back, dampen inside the husk and re-wrap. Over a good hot bed of coals with the vents wide open both top and bottom, roast your corn, rotating every 5 minutes or so until done. I don't like my corn scorched, so I simply cook until they are good and hot, cooked but not burnt.

Top with your favorites. For me it is butter, freshly grated parmesan cheese and Tony Cacheries Creole seasoning. My wife likes mayo and Tajin chili sauce with some crumbled queso fresco.

Assuming the in laws don't raid me too badly, I should have more than enough pre cooked for meals through next week...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Re: Plan for Friday night....
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 01:45:44 PM »
Sounds like on hell of a plan! Hope it works out for you. As fo the corn I do butter, mayo, cotija cheese, and tajin seasoning. Aldi caries the cheese and the seasoning.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
Re: Plan for Friday night....
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 01:30:46 PM »
I can understand why 2 racks might not be enough for you.....but that sounds like a hell of a lot for the 2.5 of you and the inlaws!.....and when do you plan on eating?  Sounds like you'll have ribs friday night for dinner, brisket for lunch/early dinner on saturday and can eat brats/burgers/dogs/fajitas as dessert after the ribs while your street corn cooks?  LOL...I hope this is simply cooking for the weekend?!

I love mexican street corn (or whatever you might call the version my wife and I make).  I never knew it was called Elotes though.  We typically soak the corn in a cooler or large bowl full of water overnight (if we husk it first).
 We'll throw it on a kettle for 45- maybe 60 minutes (and like some darker/scorched kernels), and once done slather it in some Boar's Head Gourmaise sauce (sort of like a chipotle mayo I suppose) with some fresh cilantro right out of the herb garden and crumbled cotija cheese.  Delish!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!