Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Great Cooks Illustrated article: chicken thighs  (Read 697 times)

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
Great Cooks Illustrated article: chicken thighs
« on: June 02, 2018, 04:44:30 PM »
If you get a chance to check out the July/Aug CI mag they have a really good article on grilling chicken thighs to get the crispy skin.

The long and short of it is they have a couple paste recipes (instead of a rub) and they recommend 2/3 of the paste on the non-skin side of the thigh with 1/3 on the thigh. Indirect heat, skin side down on the indirect side for20 min, rearrange so chicken farthest from coals moves closer and vice versa. Continue to cook 15-20 min until temp registers 185-190

Move chicken to hot/direct side, skin side down for 5 min. Flip and cook the non skin side 1-2 min to brown, transfer to platter and tent with foil for 10 min.

The article features 2 paste recipes, Gochujang paste and mustard tarragon paste. The article is worth seeking out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Great Cooks Illustrated article: chicken thighs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 05:08:09 PM »
Hey I think I found it: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/676-grilled-chicken-thighs

I've never paid much attention to which side I do (because I don't care about crispy skin) but certainly I will try this, especially paste instead of marinating or a rub.

Thanks!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Great Cooks Illustrated article: chicken thighs
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 06:27:31 PM »
CI is an awesome resource. I got my rib rub from one of their recipes

Sent from my LG-H932 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app