Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best Way To Cook Sausages (quick question!)  (Read 2136 times)

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
Re: Best Way To Cook Sausages (quick question!)
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 11:40:03 AM »
I take the Johnsonville Theory to a new level.

I caramelize a bunch of onions in plenty of butter (I used 1/2 butter, 1/2 olive oil) until they are brown and lovely, then add in beer and par boil my brats. Then sear and serve on a roll with the aforementioned onions.

Later you pack up your leftovers (note:make sure to make enough for leftovers) placing that onion bath in a nice tall narrow container- like a delicious salad container or one of those ziplock twist containers.

Then in the morning you open the fridge and look inside and see this little hardened puck of fat atop your onions.

And that my friends is gold. Brat and onion flavored butter and that shit makes for some mighty fine omelette a or scrambled eggs. And if you were smart enough to set aside a half to a full brat, dice that sucker and add it to your eggs along with a nice spoon of those onions from yesterday and then just ascend directly to heaven.

That caramelize onion butter is delicious. I’ve been known to use extra butter when caramelize gets onions just so I can drain a bit off and chill it so I can use it another time to finish off a steak or some chicken.

If I ever learn Ive contracted something deadly and I’m dying, I’m putting that shit on everything. I’ll probably put it on a stick and eat it like a popsicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 01:04:22 PM »
You had me at "caramelized onion butter."

And I like the tip about reusing the stuff for the morning eggs; I don't always have bacon fat available.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 08:28:19 PM »
Fuck it! I'm in. @CarrieAnn  wins!!!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 11:54:43 PM »
Fuck it! I'm in. @CarrieAnn  wins!!!
Sweet mother of Jesus! [emoji33][emoji1303]

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 06:29:32 PM »
Sounds so delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 07:45:18 AM »
I’ll admit to being super lazy at the drop of a hat. So if you have a slow cooker that cooks at a low enough temp, caramelized onions (and by default, Caramelized onion butter) can’t get any easier than this. Toss in your cooker a stick or two of butter then fill that crock to the top with sliced onion. They will cook way down - I usually do this after dinner or so. Put it on low, stir a couple times before bed, a let them cook overnight.

If your cooker doesn’t run hot, you can slow cook those onions and not have to babysit them on the stove. Being a midwestern kitchen diva I have several slow cookers. Some of them run hot, which is why I raise the issue. The best one I have is a newer cuisine that possesses the elusive “simmer” setting which is lower than low but hotter than warm. If you have your gramma’s old slow cooker or were married a while back and got an old one as a wedding gift, you might have a slow cooker with temps set before the food police stepped in and ruined slow cooking. Old slow cooker or those with a simmer setting or variable temp can cook at a lower temp which is what you want.

I’m team caramelized onion. They’re delicious and other than breakfast cereal I can’t think of many things that aren’t improved with the addition of caramelized onion.

And that butter.... damn. It should come with a NC-17 label.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club