Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My New Weber Spirit S-210  (Read 2251 times)

Transit98

• WKC Brave
My New Weber Spirit S-210
« on: April 15, 2018, 03:10:41 AM »
I had been looking for a gas grill for quick cooks after work and to pull extra duty when we had more people than my 22.5 could feed.

Took a walk to the clearance isle at Homedepot and scored a SS Spirit I for $250!

Wouldn’t fit in the trunk so had to take it out of the box and place parts around the car. Got it home to find out it was missing 2 main support brackets. A call to Weber and 5 days later I was able to complete the build and fire her up on the first nice day we had had in awhile. Its was well over 80 yesterday.

While I was waiting for the brackets I got two Grillgrates. Figured Id keep the normal set up Half Rails and half Cast Iron.

Grill went together well. Love how they break out all the screws into different packs on the same plastic bag - very helpful.

Build was taking to long some the wife made the shrimp in the house- Dusted them with Dizzy Pig Tsunami. I would recommend it.

Burgers I dusted with Salt and Pepper and some Red Eye.

I understand the Grillgrates have a learning curve. Burgers on the Cast iron side came out perfect, I took them off when they looked done. The one cooked on the rails where over cooked cause They didn’t look as dine as they were. Not burnt, just well done.

Looking forward to cooking some fish on the flatside of the GG, thats the real reason I got them.

Enjoy your Sunday everybody and always check the clearance section!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:10:47 AM by Transit98 »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My New Weber Spirit S-210
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 03:42:39 AM »
That's a great little gasser grill, I love the SS version.  Congrats
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »
Yeah I have a soft spot for any of the two-burner models and the SS is fancy. I'd like to have a tricked out one, the Genesis® II LX S-240. But I doubt I could ever justify that kind of money on "just two burners."
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 05:55:28 PM »
Second time cooking on her. Tonight I flipped the GrillGrates and used them as a flat cooker. (The real reason I bought them ) Its great cooking fish quick at home without smelling up the house.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 03:49:38 AM »
Very nice!  I have the older e210 at home and love it. I cooked on a 3 burner version of one like yours while on vacation. Used it everyday for a week. It was a grate cooker.

Do your burners run side to side or front to back?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 04:11:52 AM »

Very nice!  I have the older e210 at home and love it. I cooked on a 3 burner version of one like yours while on vacation. Used it everyday for a week. It was a grate cooker.

The burners run back to front. I quess thats good so you can just cook on one side of the grill.

I was thinking of removing the flavorizer bars and getting a rack above the  burners to add lava rocks like when I was a kid. Think it might even out the heat.
What do you think?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 04:15:56 AM »

The burners run back to front. I quess thats good so you can just cook on one side of the grill.

I was thinking of removing the flavorizer bars and getting a rack above the  burners to add lava rocks like when I was a kid. Think it might even out the heat.
What do you think?

I’m not sure. Im very new to gas grill cooking. I got mine about a month ago and only used it a few times. I used the one on vacation more. Both seemed to cook good.

Maybe someone wiser than I will chime in.

My e210 run side to side. The three burner I used on vacation ran front to back.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 06:14:41 AM »

What do you think?

I'm all for interesting modifications, but replacing the Flavorizers with a rack of lava rocks is attempting to outsmart Weber engineers. How much is nostalgia worth to you?

I'm no gasser expert so I'm sure the burgers would still be fine, but I don't recall too many people considering the types of sophisticated cooks that can be done on a charcoal grill, being done on a gas grill until Weber introduced the Genesis. Flavorizers were the key reason why it was revolutionary.

Lava rocks were the best anyone could do until Flavorizers (and their myriad copy cats since ...) were invented. Flavorizers of course got their name from the second purpose, i.e. to allow a way for grease to drip down and come back up as smoke and onto the food without constant flare ups.

-- The heat is already "evened out" some by the Flavorizers, since flame can't directly travel to the grate constantly.

-- The cast iron grates (not to mention the addition of your Grill Grates on top?) will help even out hot spots.

-- Using both burners of course helps create even heat.

-- Many things cook best indirect; you would rarely want "even heat" across the grate, regardless . Set up a hot zone on one side, and use the other burner on low or even off.

-- If none of that satisfies, there are always 3-burner models out there. My understanding is that you'd get a larger hot or larger not-as-hot zones, or just more BTUs if everything's a steak?

FYI, The very first Genesis had a deep cook box with Flavorizers positioned both horizontally and vertically (in 2 layers, 13 bars for 3 burner models ...). They for sure had even heat, (and higher parts cost.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:18:06 AM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 03:08:22 PM »
Third cook on the Spirit. Chicken thighs on the flat top of the Grill Grates. When just dine I toss them to the CI grill side for a minute each side. Came out grate.

Pre-seasoned with squeezed grapefruit, dry tikka masala and a general chicken rub.

Half way through cook I basted the chicken with wesson oil and a shake of the chicken rub.

Those with Grill Grates Im thinking of just scraping clean and not washing. Or should I scrub clean to new finish?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 04:09:29 PM »
Right on man those look great. I give my grill grates a scrape when hot and that’s it.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 04:10:17 PM »
I used my older spirit tonight. Love it for a quick cook.

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 09:18:57 AM »
Sunday was the first Sausage in the grill than GG and the Catfish was cooked on the GG griddle up than a kiss in the cast iron side.

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 12:01:56 PM »

Sunday was the first Sausage in the grill than GG and the Catfish was cooked on the GG griddle up than a kiss in the cast iron side.

All these cooks look great Transit. Haven't looked at these new Webers but man I like those grates. Gonna look into those and the tsunami rub! Thanks for sharing. 

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 07:29:56 AM »
Cod and Roasted Carrots last night.

One insight - The fish would have stayed together more if I had cut it into smaller, flippable pieces. It tasted great but was server as a mixture of flakes.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 08:31:30 PM »

Those with Grill Grates Im thinking of just scraping clean and not washing. Or should I scrub clean to new finish?

Yep I just use the spatula that comes with it to clean them. I use the edge to scrape the tops of the rails and the fingers to push it all out. Every once in a while wipe out the valleys with a paper towel.

In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH