Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Leaving a pork butt with SnS unattended?  (Read 1569 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Leaving a pork butt with SnS unattended?
« on: January 26, 2018, 07:51:37 AM »
I was planning on doing the first cook on my new SnS tomorrow with a pork butt. I've only done pork butt once before, minion setup with just the regular charcoal baskets, and it took 12 hours. It was a 7lb butt and I was running 225 the whole time, no foil, and just waiting out the stall. I understand that with the SnS the fuel will burn more efficiently and temp fluctuation should be pretty minimal. My predicament is I will be out of the house for a few hours to pick up a birth year brown. I was planning on startup at 6am and expecting to finish around 6pm based on my previous experience. I've heard all sorts of varying times on how long it takes to smoke a pork butt so I'm worried it might finish while I'm gone and be sitting there in the grill for several hours. No one else will be home to be able to monitor temps and pull it when its done. Thoughts on when I should start the cook to avoid the butt sitting in the grill for hours after it has finished? I know could start a little later but I've heard a butt about that size finishing in 9 hours or less. That's a wide margin. I guess I could start it right before I leave but then I risk it finishing past my bed time haha. Thoughts?

I also don't know how I feel about leaving a fire going on my deck unattended for that long. I would be using a performer so I know it won't tip over or anything, but the thought of leaving a fire unattended for that long makes me anxious. The expedition to pick up the brown was a last minute thing so I don't have anyone to ask to house sit. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:01:40 PM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Re: Leaving a pork butt with SnS unattended?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 08:30:51 AM »
I would not leave it in the deck. You are correct it may be done before you get back. I would if you have had rain put the grill on the grass or on on a patio if available. Just my two cents. Good luck and post pictures!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 08:50:17 AM »
That is a good suggestion, but I have a three story town home and the deck is off the second level, no stairs. I technically could disassemble the performer to move it but that's more trouble than it's worth.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 09:46:27 AM »
I’ve left my SnS for 4-5 hours before. Before I leave it I separate any unlit fuel, stir the coals to knock off the ash, add in the unlit plus more to fill it up, add water to the SnS and put a little more water in my drip pan. Hasn’t failed me yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Leaving a pork butt with SnS unattended?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 10:17:08 AM »
In theory you should be fine to leave it unattended. In practice, I don’t think I would take a chance given your townhome arrangement. Personally, I would get it done before I left and place in a good cooler wrapped in foil and towels. It should hold that long easy and still be hot when you get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:24:06 AM by HoosierKettle »

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 11:30:36 AM »
My suggestion. Do not leave it unattended. Shit happens, especially with coals and fire. Attend it, or just don't attempt it.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »

My suggestion. Do not leave it unattended. Shit happens, especially with coals and fire. Attend it, or just don't attempt it.

+1

Can you pick up the kettle or cook the butt another day?

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 11:40:26 AM »
This.

Shit happens, especially with coals and fire. Attend it, or just don't attempt it.

Thanks everyone for the input. The odds of something happening I would say are low, but if something were to happen...man that would be totally negligent of me and I would probably never grill again. I'm going not cook the pork butt so there isn't an unattended fire.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:53:00 AM by Firemunkee »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 11:45:45 AM »
That's probably a good idea @Firemunkee and this has made me rethink leaving the grill for long periods of time. 
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 01:58:53 PM »
Brother just go next level, take it with u [emoji106][emoji106], haha

Another bit of advice don’t tell people when u ain’t home on social media, u never know

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 02:36:56 PM »
I would tell you that I've been using my 26er on my wooden deck for years and years and years without an issue.  I would also tell you that I've left it running with the SnS to run errands many, many times.  Again with no issue.  In fact, I would tell you that I will likely do it again, soon, without giving it a second thought.  But, if I told you all that, and something bad happened, I'd really, really feel bad ! ! !

So, I would listen to all these other guys and play it safe.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 04:41:47 PM »
You could always finish it in the oven.  I’ve had to do it a few times due to rain.  Smoke it for a few hours then wrap it and finish it in the oven where there is less chance of a fire. 

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 09:54:52 PM »
I’ve always thought of setting up a baby monitor so when I’m in bed on a long slow and low I can have a quick peek without having to get up , a mobile smart temp gauge is my next investment also

I’m always worried me Rottweiler is gunna get the munchies in the night haha

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Charcoal_Guerrilla

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 02:49:30 AM »
Play it safe. Don't void your home insurance. Don't get busted by the fuzz.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 03:24:29 AM »
You could always finish it in the oven.  I’ve had to do it a few times due to rain.  Smoke it for a few hours then wrap it and finish it in the oven where there is less chance of a fire. 

Do this !

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app