Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoked Whole Chicken Suggestions  (Read 1527 times)

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Smoked Whole Chicken Suggestions
« on: December 18, 2017, 07:06:11 AM »
I have a 7 pound chicken I am going to be smoking on Thursday. I have never smoked a whole chicken and am looking for suggestions. I wish I could use a rotisserie but do not have one yet. A couple recipes I have found so far:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/08/the-food-lab-how-to-grill-a-whole-chicken.html

http://howtobbqright.com/2013/07/03/whole-smoked-chicken-recipe/

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Smoked Whole Chicken Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 07:11:54 AM »
Honestly, keep it simple.  Spatchcock method is great for a whole chicken.  Don't worry about searing, reverse searing, slide and searing, sear and slide, none of it.  Just oil up the skin and hit it with your rub/herbs, put it on indirect with the grill running 350-400 and let it go indirect the entire time.  Pull it off at 160 and let it rest to 165.

The last few I've done I didn't have any olive oil so I sprayed PAM all over the skin then did my salt, pepper, and rosemary.  The skin was very crispy.

Forgot about the fire.  I usually light a whole chimney and throw it in the Slow n Sear.  I place a drip pan under the chicken to catch all the fat and keep the kettle clean.  If I do any smoke wood I'll use peach or pecan and only one chunk of it.  Poultry takes the smoke very easily.  No water in the pan or in the SnS
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:14:51 AM by kettlebb »
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 07:33:18 AM »
Solid advise from @kettlebb. I also like to add an herb butter to rub under the skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 08:08:26 AM »
+1 for all of the above.  Can’t go wrong and super easy.   Good luck

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 10:04:22 AM »
I have done quite a few smoked chickens and have great results doing a beer can chicken style cook.

Here is one I did 2 years ago on my 26”.
I brined it for 8 hrs. in a mix of maple syrup and salt with 2 chicken bouillon cubes. Then smoked with pecan wood with maple moonshine in the beer can holder.  Keep an eye on the temp and you will end up with a chicken that everyone will be talking about for months ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Campwhatnot

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 10:40:45 AM »
Upside down vortex for radiant cooking

Sent from my SM-G955W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 11:53:26 AM »
Wow @Campwhatnot that looks great!
If I had a vortex I would also do it like that!  Nice beer can holder also!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 03:34:21 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I am going to brine it overnight then spatchcock and grill it. Keeping it simple.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow